Author Topic: A scam to be wary of!  (Read 3564 times)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
A scam to be wary of!
« on: February 07, 2017, 09:23:04 AM »
To all 'artistic' woodturners who sell their work....
There is an attempted fraud doing the rounds in which a supposed customer contacts you, saying that he has noticed his wife looking at your web-site and admiring your work. He then asks to buy a couple of items (in my case, it was for a wedding anniversary) and that he will pay by "Bank Cheque".
In my case, what happened next was this...
  • items from my stock were selected, a deal was done and my terms for payment in advance were agreed
  • I was advised that the Bank Cheque had been posted to me
  • I was then advised that there had been an error and that my name had been written onto the wrong cheque, which had been posted to me, for considerably more than was due to be paid
  • I was asked to submit the cheque anyway, let it clear into my account and then await further instructions.

I wasn't fooled by all of this, and immediately spoke to my bank about it. Up to this point, nothing concrete could be identified as a fraud, but it all began to feel very suspicious.
Next.....
  • A cheque arrived yesterday, it was not a bank cheque, but a business cheque, and it was made out for £2500, whereas the item that my 'customer' was buying was £390
  • The cheque was drawn against a genuine business which I checked out on-line, they had about a million pounds' worth of assets and had been trading for years
  • I took the cheque to the bank for them to investigate it and as soon as I handed it over they knew that it was a fake, purely by the feel of the paper
  • The bank's fraud department and the police (Action Fraud) are looking into it
  • The fraudster is now emailing me regularly trying to put pressure onto me to despatch the goods and send him a photocopy of the paying-in receipt from the bank

....I assume that the next step will be that the fraudster asks for reimbursement of his over-payment, but I will now block his email address.

It is clear that I am not alone in receiving this attempted fraud and that numerous other artists are being targeted.

Keep safe...Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
Re: A scam to be wary of!
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2017, 09:38:48 AM »
I just ignored it

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2017, 01:48:01 PM »
It's surprising the lengths some people will go to, to pull off a scam.

I would have thought the banks and police would have helped you by raising equally bogus receipt paperwork, to help get more information from the scammer, so the address can be backtracked and the perpetrators briught to justice.

If not, they will be free to try this over and over again, worse, pull it off on a few unsuspecting people.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 01:51:10 PM by dr4g0nfly »
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2017, 02:49:24 PM »
...I would have thought the banks and police would have helped you by raising equally bogus receipt paperwork.....
....to be honest, Bryan, the police fraud office is so inundated with investigations that all that they can do about attempted fraud is to collate the info and log it on their national computer network so that when an actual fraud takes place, there just might be a back-track of attempted frauds by the same person. Having said all that, it is most likely that, despite the use of genuine UK addresses, it is likely that this scumbag is  somewhere a lot more exotic than the Basildon business address that he uses.

Les

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2017, 04:34:09 PM »
thanks for the heads up Les. I keep getting the usual ' I am an african prince and I want to deposit a large sum of money into your account for my daughter' bs, but nothing such as this.

Offline beyond23

• iron
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2017, 12:48:12 PM »
ya thanks, alot. And if any one ever interested in uploading your work on internet for selling, i will highly recommend that you use this free service http://www.freephotofix.com/ and if you need any help in resizing pictures use this free service http://www.picresizer.net/

Thanks

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2017, 01:04:37 AM »

Les I hope at this time it's got sorted out and you've no future problems. What has been the outcome.

We can understand the intentions, but were do they think their able to carry it off, was it someone through the business.

Most weeks just the local paper has a write up of persons caught for embezzlement of the companies money.

Cheers  Dewi

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2017, 06:01:53 AM »

....What has been the outcome....Cheers  Dewi

The National Fraud Office was informed and all of the data that I'd collected was entered into the police national database. Attempted fraud like this is so commonplace that the police don't have the resources to investigate it, but whenever an actual fraud is investigated, the database searches for common links within the data stored. That sometimes provides clues that help to nail the blighters.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2017, 09:53:46 AM »
I have been getting a lot of requests from russian ladies recently for some reason. Must like old men LOL.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2017, 09:02:35 AM »
I have been getting a lot of requests from russian ladies recently for some reason. Must like old men LOL.

Pete
Pete have you got their email address?............... ;D ;D ;D

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2017, 05:18:23 PM »
Sorry John I deleted them before Mo saw them LOL.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities