Author Topic: Turning Old Checked Log - Dangerous?  (Read 2018 times)

Offline howlingbaboon

• bronze
Turning Old Checked Log - Dangerous?
« on: January 31, 2017, 11:08:14 AM »
Hi All,

I'm new to woodturning. I spent the last few days learning about spindle turning on my dad's ancient lathe (passed down to him and he's 76!). I've enjoyed some success on some pine timber so far. I've got a few old laburnam logs which have only been kept for firewood up to now. They are quite cracked (checked....?) on the ends. Unless it's a safety issue, I'd be interested to see what happens if I turn it (in the knowledge that if won't make a nice smooth and perfect product).

Are there any problems turning old checked logs? Primarily safety?

Many thanks for any advice

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: Turning Old Checked Log - Dangerous?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2017, 11:37:39 AM »
Laburnum logs can often be split at the ends but sound futher down the log but when you turn wood that is split or has damaged sections there is always the danger of pieces flying off. It can also be rotten inside if it is older wood (see the Laburnum: WIP thread) Keep the speed low (sub 500rpm) and your tools very sharp at all times and stop frequently to check. Also wear at least a full face mask, not just goggles as bits can come off and even at low speeds could inflict damage. My advice if you are a novice would be to leave it until you are experienced enough to be able to tell by the feel and sound of the wood as you turn it as they can indicate weaknesses and possible dangers.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline howlingbaboon

• bronze
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2017, 03:33:43 PM »
Hi Pete,

Thankyou so much for taking the time to give me such a detailed reply! I shall take your advice and wait till I have both more experience and the full face mask. Although we can change speed on this lathe, it involves swapping pulleys and belt drives over etc and we'v not figured all that out yet. We also have no idea what RPM it runs either although I'm sure there must be a clever way to work it out, maybe a piece of string and a stopwatch :-) I think the motor originally came separate to the lathe. Moving the tool rest takes about 5 mins!

Offline Eddie Perkins

• iron
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2017, 04:52:08 PM »
Where are you based?
Eddie

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2017, 06:09:09 PM »
I suggest you invest in some Tuition.

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2017, 10:16:03 PM »
I consider myself a spindle turner as opposed to a faceplate (bowl) turner who does spindle work when they have to.

I started turning in an Adult Evening Woodwork class. I then spent several years, turning in my various garages and sheds as I moved around with the forces.

It was not until I spent a week in a RPTs workshop and then eventually joined a club and learnt about form and design, that all of the 'practice' made sense and I was finally able to turn something of worth.

I agree with George, a day with a proper tutor who can show you how to turn spindles, will save you many heartaches over the mistakes that you will make, and set you on the right path. Don't get me wrong, even after a lesson, you will still get catches, won't be a skew expert, but at least you'll be able to look at the mistakes and understand them better.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!