Author Topic: Workshop floor question  (Read 4790 times)

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
Workshop floor question
« on: January 09, 2017, 07:26:21 PM »
We have now finally moved into our new home, and I have started work to get the workshop at the back of the garden up to scratch. It's a nice size, about 27' x 11' (that's 9m x 3.25m for the metric guys), built from bricks (one half) and blocks (the other half), with a concrete floor. I've rewired the entire shop and put new plasterboard on the ceiling, and all the windows and doors need replacing, mostly because the damp proof membrane in the walls has perished and the workshop hasn't been heated in years, and the damp has crawled straight through the walls into the ceiling and the roof. All of this is well under control, and I've managed to get the floor more or less flat with about 100kg of levelling compound.

Now here's the question: I am thinking of putting a nice wooden floor down. Have any of you done this? If so, how much of a difference does it make compared to naked concrete floor, especially in winter? Or what alternatives would you recommend? I'm quite open to suggestions. Primarily I want a floor that can be easily cleaned and doesn't freeze my feet off when spending a whole day in the workshop.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Re: Workshop floor question
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2017, 07:35:30 PM »
When I converted my garage into a workshop, I laid 2x1 tanalised roofing battens down (on their face, not edge)packed between each batten with polystyrene, and then boarded the whole floor with 8ft x 2ft chipboard. The only exception to this was the inclusion of a couple of extra battens under the lathe stand. I don't get any issues with a cold floor, but the chipboard can be a bit smooth.....it really could do with a textured floor paint of some description.

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2017, 08:13:35 PM »
my floor is concrete with my machines resting on old spare carpet that has come from my mum's house.

well the rip saw and planer are on the carpet, my lathe is on the concrete as it has those nylon feet.

i also have carpet where i stand to take the ache of standing on concrete for hours when i'm barefoot in the summer months.

i find carpet fairly easy to clean but i only shovel up the dust and shavings.

Offline otterbank

• bronze
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2017, 08:58:24 PM »
I put polystyrene sheets down to cover the concrete floor . No battens and laid t and g boards on top. . Cut out  holes for the lathes and pored concrete to wood floor level to make pads to fix them to. Never had any problems. Nice under foot and machinery on firm foundations.

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2017, 09:53:55 PM »
Has anybody used these rubber tiles that can be linked together? I definitely want something that makes standing comfortable, and I have read some positive reviews online.

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2017, 10:29:21 PM »
I've got the tiles that link together around where I stand at the lathe these are just laid on the concrete floor and their fine they give a bit of cushioning for your feet and I don't feel any cold under foot.

I also installed a sawdust/wood shaving burner and that get the workshop nice and toasty in no time

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2017, 10:57:42 PM »
my floor is concrete with my machines resting on old spare carpet that has come from my mum's house.

well the rip saw and planer are on the carpet, my lathe is on the concrete as it has those nylon feet.

i also have carpet where i stand to take the ache of standing on concrete for hours when i'm barefoot in the summer months.

i find carpet fairly easy to clean but i only shovel up the dust and shavings.

Like you I use carpet it is wall to wall and the Dyson soon clears all the dust out of it it certainly keeps my feet warm

Offline malcy

• gold
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2017, 04:26:56 PM »
I've covered my garage floor with rubber sheet, glued down to the concrete. You can buy this rubber flooring in roll form. This prevents damp rising through the floor, gives a warmer feel and is soft enough now to damage tools if they fall and hard enough to be able to move machines around on castors. I also have a thicker foam rubber pad at the lathe. Hope this helps. Malcolm.

Offline Eddie Perkins

• iron
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2017, 08:22:32 PM »
Leave the floor and buy a pair of these from Cotton Traders or something similar.   mine work a treat, nice warm feet and comfortable all day.

Eddie
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 08:42:18 PM by Eddie Perkins »
Eddie

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2017, 11:03:45 PM »
Just cut out two foot-sized pieces of carpet and stick them to the bottom of your shoes. It's just like walking around in the lounge ;)

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2017, 10:10:33 AM »
Thanks for all the comments, much appreciated. After some more reading of forums and blogs (and your comments) I am now leaning towards

• levelling the floor to a point where all major bumps are gone, i.e. flat
  • sanding it to an even flatness
  • applying a high build epoxy paint
  • buying some anti-fatigue matting for most frequently used spots
This would appear to be the best combination of easy cleaning, nice appearance and comfort.

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2017, 03:33:18 PM »
I have 2 layers of 12 mm OSB board on flagstones,seems to work ok
welcome to my woodturning world

Offline simon

• copper
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2017, 11:16:57 PM »
I put down rubber based dpm, 2" foil clad foam insulation (not sure of trade name) with 3/4" t&g ply on top. Machines (vicmarc 300) straight on top with no problems.

Simon

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2017, 08:23:49 AM »
Visit Hafords, (they have the interlocking anti fatigue mats for sale cheaper than anywhere else I've seen them, a couple in front of all the places you normally stand to work makes all the difference.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline ken rodgers

• bronze
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2017, 11:46:19 AM »
I fitted out my workshop with the anti- fatigue mats from Halfords about 3months ago.
Easy to lay and remove shavings/dust etc.from them.
Also if one gets damaged it's simple to replace.
Ken