Author Topic: Small Vase  (Read 2027 times)

Offline Derek

• platinum
Small Vase
« on: November 30, 2016, 01:18:23 PM »
First piece for nearly a month as I have been laid up with a bad back. Anyway during that time I reached the ripe old age of 60 and for a present from my family they treated me to a Peter Child Pyrography machine. So now that I am able to get back into the shed I thought I would make a vase with a poppy using it.

Made from Ash and stands 4 1/2" tall by 2 1/2" diameter.

C & C welcome

« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 01:20:08 PM by Derek »

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Re: Small Vase
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2016, 03:00:55 PM »
It's always good to try something new....may I offer some advise? Try using close grained timbers like sycamore, maple or beech. The open, coarse grain of ash makes pyrography much more difficult than it might otherwise be. You'll notice that the line defining the right hand edge of the flower stem has been coerced into following the softer, summer wood in the grain, then skipping across a band of harder, winter wood, before settling back into an adjacent band of summer wood. This effect is greatly reduced if you choose a finer-grained timber.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2016, 03:55:34 PM »

Agree with Les.... 2 other little tips which might help..... keep the pen tip clean we use a wire brush.... also if you
    think of an artist when painting, the brush  is moving  before it hits the canvas a bit like a plain coming into a smooth land
    both will help the dots. Its easier to show than explain but hopefully you`ll get the gist of it.
    Kind Regards ... Tony di
"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2016, 06:28:10 PM »
Thank you Les and Georg.

Yes that is what happened Les I found a way around that problem after it happened so I will be trying it again on wood like ash and oak in the future as I will want to use pyrography on all sorts of wood. Lesson learnt and stored for future reference.

Thank you Georg for the tips I have a brush in my little kit that I have made up just for this and the second tip one of our members passed that one on still getting into the habit of doing it. Like most things practice is the order of the day.

I am sure I will make some more mistakes and hopefully learn from them.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2016, 10:06:47 PM »
I bought a  pyrograph recently. Not had the courage to use it on any of my work yet, so well done for the courage for this and the other 2 postings.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!