Author Topic: Sheppach wet wheel  (Read 6097 times)

Offline mickdundee

• iron
Sheppach wet wheel
« on: November 21, 2016, 10:06:28 AM »
Has anyone used the sheppach copy of the tormek wet wheel sharpening system. There's 2 models available on screwfix. One for around the £120 mark and the other £200. They can take all the tormek jigs.
Thanks

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
Re: Sheppach wet wheel
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2016, 10:34:34 AM »
Yes I have the 2500 model, which if I recall, has a 10" wheel and the cheaper model has an 8" wheel. There is a misprint on their angle gauge, 25° is marked on it twice and one of the two is actually 15°

I did a review on it for the woodturning magazine (issue 211) a few years ago. if you email me I will send you a copy of the review.

Offline mickdundee

• iron
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2016, 12:07:30 PM »
Thanks Paul hopefully you've received an email from me.
What would be the main advantage of a bigger wheel

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2016, 12:11:26 AM »
The main advantage of a bigger wheel is a flatter bevel. I would expect the bigger wheel to last longer too.

Offline mickdundee

• iron
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2016, 08:53:56 PM »
That was all I could think of really. It'll still be an improvement on the 6" white wheel grinder I currently use then.
I noticed in your review that you thought it was quite slow for reshaping though and maybe if they both operate at the same rpm the smaller wheel would be even slower!

Offline APH

• bronze
    • My Instagram turning feed
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2016, 04:19:46 PM »
I noticed in your review that you thought it was quite slow for reshaping though
You really won't to try reshaping on a wet grinder, it's just so, so slow.
I bought one and very quickly went back to using a normal dry grinder.
They do give a good edge, but you need some patience. The other downside is having to deal with topping up and keeping the water clean(ish) and, in an outside workshop, making sure it doesn't freeze.

IMHO a dry grinder is fine for turning, the best upgrade is the Sorby Pro Edge. A little more expensive to run, but very versatile, fast and the jigs work brilliantly.

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2016, 04:49:33 PM »
That was all I could think of really. It'll still be an improvement on the 6" white wheel grinder I currently use then.
I noticed in your review that you thought it was quite slow for reshaping though and maybe if they both operate at the same rpm the smaller wheel would be even slower!

The wet grinder runs at 120rpm as opposed to around 3000 or 1500rpm for a fast/slow bench grinder so it is going to remove metal slower. For significant reshaping, I would still use the bench grinder but if I want the finer edge, I would use the wet grinder.

Yes, both of the Scheppach grinders run at 120rpm so the 8" wheels will have a lower preripheral speed and will grind a little slower than the 10" wheels.

Another thing probably worth mentioning here - if you sharpen your tool to a finer edge, it will dull faster so you will sharpen more frequently. For this reason I usually use the bench grinder for sharpening instead of the wet grinder!

Offline mickdundee

• iron
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2016, 05:17:02 PM »
I think I might hold out for the sorby pro edge. By the time I've bought a new grinder and a couple of jigs I'd be spending around £300 anyway, so might as well spend the £360 for the full kit and be done with it. Im not that great at freehand grinding. I can touch up a tool that's already properly ground but I've got a 2nd hand bowl gauge and a brand new spindle gouge that I'd like to put fingernail grinds on

Offline malcy

• gold
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2016, 08:23:50 PM »
I use the Sorby Proedge and I think it is brilliant. Use it for a quick sharpen frequently when turning. So easy and fast to set and use. Malcolm.

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2016, 08:58:40 PM »
what's wrong with freehand?

Offline APH

• bronze
    • My Instagram turning feed
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2016, 10:53:59 PM »
Nothing if you have the skill, or have the time it takes to practice enough to be good at it.
I'd rather take the short cut and get on with turning wood with sharp consistent tools.

Offline mickdundee

• iron
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2016, 06:50:54 PM »
Nothing if you have the skill, or have the time it takes to practice enough to be good at it.
I'd rather take the short cut and get on with turning wood with sharp consistent tools.
Yup, this. I don't get nearly enough time at the lathe as I'd like. I want to spend that time turning rather than trying to learn how to grind properly.

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2016, 09:07:19 PM »
personally I think the slow run and wet wheels and wide wheels are a complete waste of money. I use 3/4" wide wheels on  B&Q grinders. Learn how to sharpen your tools properly and it will not cost you so much. £360 ? think of the timber you could buy with that!

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2016, 09:12:01 PM »
Sharpening is like so many things, a skill that has become over rated. By that I mean that sharpening is simply getting an edge on your tools and to spend a fortune on some of the stuff out there is as John says a waste of money as you get as efficient a tool by doing it by hand. It isn't necessary to have a perfect angle or a special grind, just the one that works best for you and that will come with practice no matter what gear you use to achieve it.
Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2016, 11:23:10 PM »
not meaning to derail the thread but what does the turning, the skill of the turner or the grind on the tool?

i do all mine freehand but only do simple grinds so none of these fingernail things usually just 45 degree angles i presume (i've never checked) and i've only four bowl gouges a couple of skews some chunky scrapers and a 2" rouging gouge. they work for me...