Author Topic: Supernova 2 chuck with insert runout  (Read 3167 times)

Offline Redtails3

• copper
Supernova 2 chuck with insert runout
« on: November 02, 2016, 09:09:21 AM »
Hi
Has anyone checked the run-out on the body of a supernova 2 chuck with a insert ?
And if so how much was it running out?
The fault seems to be in the insert the tolerances on the male thread seem very open.
The chuck seems fine but having said that I do not have another supernova 2 chuck with a direct thread to suit the lathes spindle to be absolute positive on that.

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
Re: Supernova 2 chuck with insert runout
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2016, 09:44:07 AM »
I do not have a Supernova 2 chuck but my Brother has and he said the jaws on it are very loose and sloppy compared to Axminster chucks.

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2016, 09:46:33 AM »
I have a couple of them and agree with George that in time they become sloppy. #

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Derwent Woodturning club

• bronze
    • Derwent Woodturning Club
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2016, 10:51:36 AM »
Hi Redtails,

A couple of students of mine have had the same problem. The 'easy to fix' cause is if the insert hasn't been screwed fully home so that the nose of the insert isn't against the machined flat, inside the chuck. The threads don't form the 'register', it is the faces of the chuck and insert that do that. Also check that there is no dust/dirt on either of those faces. Similarly, make sure the face of the insert is tight against the headstock spindle, when the chuck is fitted to your lathe. I assume you are checking runout of the chuck when it is on your lathe.

The more difficult 'fix' occurred (about six years ago) when some inserts were poorly machined and were extremely tight to screw into the chuck. The insert should screw in with only light pressure with the spanner. We only had this once so it is a rare situation but, if this is your problem, take the insert back to your supplier, as you've got 'old stock', and they will sort it out for you.

I believe there were also some insert copies being made and sold via a well known auction site. In that case I am not sure how you could redress the problem.

Hope that helps,
Regards,
Derwent Woodturning Club

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2016, 11:13:26 AM »
What lathe is this on

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline Redtails3

• copper
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2016, 11:31:45 AM »
Thanks for reply let me add that (a) the chuck brand ,new there is no play in the jaws.
(B) there is no locking. On the run out of the threads the thread depth is over on the chuck and shallow on the insert.
(C) from one end of the chuck body to the  other the runout is consistent.
(D) the lathe spindle runout is zero to zero.
(E) when the insert is screwed on to the spindle then the runout appears it is consistent over its length .
What I am asking does anyone own supernova chuck with runout and what is that runout?