Author Topic: The BIG question is......  (Read 4008 times)

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
The BIG question is......
« on: October 14, 2016, 09:11:18 PM »
..........Whats the birthday bash all about ?
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Re: The BIG question is......
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2016, 09:51:25 PM »
It's about a mass celebration of 30 years of AWGB involvement in a millennia old craft/skill/art. My own club (Mid Wales Woodturners) will be celebrating and putting the AWGB grant to good effect.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Graham

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2016, 10:34:37 PM »
Les -  I have obviously missed something if you know more than I do. Where is this information coming from ?
Regards
Graham

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2016, 11:37:33 PM »
The AWGB listed info about this in the endless stream of info at the bottom of the home page, basically saying that the first 30 clubs to apply for the grant of £300 would get it, or, in the event of over subscription, the total sum of the grant would be subdivided by the number of applicants. Anyway, applications have been comprehensive and the AWGB have taken the amazing stance of granting the £300 to every club that applied....it will make a substantial difference to my club's funds, as I suspect it will to every club that applied. Good, innit!
Les

Offline Graham

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2016, 09:04:02 AM »
Mmm. Don't know how I missed that, though I guess it would only have been for affiliated clubs, Didcot is associated.
Are there any events planned ?
Regards
Graham

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2016, 09:31:15 PM »
Graham, Kennet and Avon Woodturning club, based in Trowbridge, is planning an event. Early days yet but I will eventually post details here.

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2016, 08:56:30 AM »
Our Club Burnham on Sea Woodturning Club have been awarded £300  00 but have not decided what to do yet I expect the AWGB would like us to do something that involved the public.

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2016, 09:06:56 PM »

I have been without a laptop for a week or so and have missed quite a number of emails so I do not know if our Club Burcot Woodturners were successful in our application? I see Les is saying everyone who applied have been granted this £300:

Regards John 
John Smith

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2016, 09:20:33 PM »

...I see Les is saying everyone who applied have been granted this £300...
This is the text, copied and pasted, from the letter that I received...
  • AWGB   Birthday Bash

Dear Club Member
                                      The response to the offer of a grant to celebrate the 30th anniversary of the AWGB was overwhelming and the Trustees decided to pay all applications. Therefore it is good news and all clubs that applied will receive £300 in January 2017.  Please remember that it is a condition of the grant that you hold an event that celebrates this milestone and that you send in a report with pictures for publication in Revolutions. The facility for you to advertise the event is available in Revolutions, please contact the Editor.
    Happy Turning
    M J Glover AWGB Secretary

Hope this clears it up for you....Les

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2016, 07:41:53 PM »

Hi Les,
              Thank you for that information now the Members and Committee must get their thinking caps on to come up with ideas.

Regards John 
John Smith

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2016, 09:54:12 PM »

Hi Les,
              Thank you for that information now the Members and Committee must get their thinking caps on to come up with ideas.

Regards John
I'm concerned that it might be too late for you....the letter clearly stated that, 'all clubs that applied will receive £300' ...if you have not applied yet, you might be too late!
Les

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2016, 03:23:15 PM »

Hi Les,
            I did apply on behalf of the Club very early and did have confirmation of that I just seem to have missed out on the email from Mike Glover Sect AWGB because my laptop crashed, Looks like I will have to wait and see.

Regards John
John Smith

Offline burywoodturners

• gold
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2016, 08:35:33 PM »
We applied and after worrying about acceptance it was a relief to hear that we all the applicants will get the money.
We are doing 'Woodies in the Park' in August and aim to get children involved hoping that the parents will follow.
A lot to think about and August next year is closer than it appears!
Ron

Offline Dave Atkinson

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Macclesfield
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2016, 11:37:01 PM »
Mmm. Don't know how I missed that, though I guess it would only have been for affiliated clubs, Didcot is associated.
Are there any events planned ?
Hi Graham just to clear things up.  The grant was available to every affiliated branch and every associated club.  Our regional reps emailed every club secretary about the grant.  I also wrote about it in Revolutions which every club gets a copy of and also every member.  As we were over subscribed after discussion we decided not to disappoint anybody and awarded everyone who had applied by 1 October a grant.

The scheme is now closed.

I hope you will be able to get to one of the events next year.

Cheers Dave (AWGB Chairman)

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2016, 07:54:32 AM »
Planning has started for the Kennet and Avon WTC 30th Anniversary bash. Tentatively it will be a week long event with an exhibition and demonstrations and hoping to include youngsters in that somehow. Is there any chance one of you computer wizards could sort out the stuff we need to give to the local banner printer to get a banner made?