Author Topic: 'Partners'  (Read 2847 times)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
'Partners'
« on: October 07, 2016, 07:39:43 PM »
Anyone who knows the John Lewis organisation, will know that employees are known as 'Partners', and within the Partnership there is a great sense of belonging amongst the staff. When I was commissioned recently to design and produce a series of 7 decorative pieces for their staff hotel and activity base in Bala, my brief was to (principally) use local materials and that my work should reflect the rugged nature of the local geography.

I had a really awkward setting for one piece, in that it was a narrow slate mantle shelf in an entrance foyer, and with a large mirror directly over it. My design concept was a plinth, the same size as the shelf and in ebonised oak to match it, with a series of figures standing on it.
Here's the prototype....

....it doesn't really show the outline of the 'face', but the following photos will. This one is 15" (38cm) tall and it's meant to represent a human figure, whilst remaining anonymous.

The group shows that no matter how diverse people are, in terms of colour, height, build etc, as 'Partners' there is a common element, hence the decorative finish to the centre of each figure, whilst the diversity of the human figure is also displayed through the range and colour of timbers.

The decorative finish is scorched and scoured beads. Some have been left plain, some with lime wax and some with verdigris wax, whilst there has also been a smattering of various gilding creams over most of them. It's been great visiting the hotel in recent days and seeing people playing the game of deciding which of the figures represents each of their colleagues, but nobody wants to admit to being the short, fat one.

I really like the way that the mirror enhances the piece, making the gathering look larger.

C&C always welcome....Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
Re: 'Partners'
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2016, 09:20:38 PM »
Well Les what can I say? I love the concept and representation. I like the way each piece is different and yes I can see a crowd of people.
Well done you!!

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2016, 09:22:51 PM »
 Hi Les,
             Thank you for sharing these photographs everyone is different as the man said"I don't do Pairs" these to me are inspiring.                                                     

Regards John
John Smith

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2016, 09:27:59 PM »
Thanks John (x2).....what's going to be the utmost horror is when some donkey draws a face on one of them  ;D
Les

Offline malcy

• gold
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2016, 09:55:05 PM »
What a great concept and superbly executed. Well done, Les. Malcolm.

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2016, 09:02:04 AM »
Great idea Les

Love the way they all look

Ed

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2016, 04:22:26 PM »

Very Modern Sculptures Les..... You have certainly managed to capture a Robust and Rustic look to these.
        Very much like the idea of using different woods.
        Regards Tony & di
"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

Offline Nick Simpson

• bronze
    • Boglecraft
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2016, 07:51:59 PM »
Most stimulating concept since the terracotta warriors thanks Les
In many ways it would be a great compliment should someone feel empowered to draw a face
Very well done :)
Regards Nick.
See me at Boglecraft  https://www.Boglecraft.co.uk

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2016, 08:05:06 PM »
Unusual concept well executed , I like them  :)

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2016, 08:12:42 PM »
Les,

This John Lewis hotel work has certainly let you play and develop your work in a completely new direction.

I first saw these on a tablet, so one pic at a time, was not sure what I was looking at in the first image, then as I scrolled down and the whole group appeared, I could see the magic of the design, and understand why people stand and look working out which one is who.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline ChrisF

• gold
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2016, 09:57:15 AM »
Terrific concept well executed.  Love it.

Offline Tony Kairo

• copper
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2016, 12:26:50 PM »
A nice concept - The only thing I may have done differently would be to turn the top off centre to project the form of a head but they are still very nice

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2016, 12:33:38 PM »
A nice concept - The only thing I may have done differently would be to turn the top off centre to project the form of a head but they are still very nice
Thanks for your comment, and I can see where you're coming from with that remark, but I fail to agree. Not simply because I'm not a lover of or practitioner of multi-centred work, but primarily because I think that they're right as they are. I considered the prototype 'face' before I went ahead with producing the batch, and I liked the way that this shape causes the face to be outward and even slightly upward looking (it suggests pride), whereas turning the head off-centre and then cutting the slice off for the face would have caused the face to point downwards. I didn't want that.

Les