Author Topic: Interference (Iridescent ) Paints  (Read 3561 times)

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Interference (Iridescent ) Paints
« on: September 12, 2016, 12:02:46 PM »
Talking to one of the ladies in my office after she saw a turning using the Jo Sonja Iridescent paints. She said she used 'Interference Paints' in her craftwork.

Interested I asked for more details, and guess what, Jo Sonja are not the only paint manufacturer to make paint with Mica in it. A company called DecoArt make them as well.

Exploring the DecoArt page for their acrylic paint range (see link below), there was a link to their Technical Specs sheet and I saw that their Interference Paints are Mica based as well.

She was kind enough to bring in a bottle for me to look at. They work the same following a quick test (smeared over a black marker scribble) but the fluid is a little thinner, but as they are normally thinned a little to use them, I don't see this as being a problem.

Unlike Jo Sonja they are more widely available, She tells me she buys them from a well known Hobby Shop chain. And they are available in the same 6 colours.

http://decoart.com/mixedmedia/fluid-acrylics - Scan down to the Interference range.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Derek

• platinum
Re: Interference (Iridescent ) Paints
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2016, 01:17:22 PM »
You can also get an Interference additive to add to acrylic paints not tried it yet but on my to buy list from my local artist shop a great place for loads of ideas. I ordered some Flow Aid from them on Friday afternoon and it arrived this morning so good quick turn around.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 01:27:10 PM by Derek »

Offline George Watkins

• bronze
    • FromTheTree
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2016, 06:41:18 PM »
Allot of custom car, motorbike and airbrush artists use interference or colour shifting paints.

when i had my bike i went to a big charity bike meeting and seen a bike that changed colour from silver to red as i walked around it, these are sometimes called chameleon pigments.

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2016, 08:48:27 PM »

We have used for a good few years now Daler Rowney interference its very similar to jo Sonja  Bryan. For us it seems to
   dilute  very well pigment wise especially for when its taken down  quite thin for marbling (posed marbling different shapes).
   We have also had very good results from the Deco Art range. They also do a good range of products especially found there 
   antiquing range very useful.
   Regards Di & Tony

"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2016, 10:44:40 PM »
I use Golden interference paints and they seen to work well

Ed