Author Topic: Allan Batty  (Read 4457 times)

Offline Dave Atkinson

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Macclesfield
Allan Batty
« on: July 13, 2016, 03:16:16 PM »
It is with regret that I have to let you know of the death of Allan Batty on Sunday, 10th July.

He had been ill for some time and he passed away in the company of family, close friends and his well loved dog, at home.  A Yorkshireman by birth he spent many years living in the Peak District and was a regular at Craft Supplies and John Boddy’s.   

As and when I get any further information on funeral arrangements I will post again.

Please feel free to share any personal recollections of Allan.

Our thoughts are with his family and friends at this time.

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
Re: Allan Batty
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2016, 05:16:00 PM »
Very sad a great loss to his family and woodturning

Regards george
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2016, 09:23:51 PM »

What a sad loss condolences to his family R.I.P Allan

Kindest Regards John Smith
John Smith

Offline Dave Atkinson

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Macclesfield
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2016, 08:22:09 AM »
A few words here about Allan from his close friends Steve and Jane Nunn:

As someone new to wood turning when I first met Allan, I didn't appreciate at first what an honour it was to be taught by him - a time-served turner who was passionate about handing on his skills.

He taught with patience (and then some!) and good humour but with an insistence on correct tool choice and grind, along with turning technique. He inspired me to pass on what I have learned, to help others to enjoy turning, by teaching and demonstrating.

In the process he became a dear family friend, along with his dog Jamie Batty who now lives with us, and we will miss him a lot.

And a few words from Stuart Mortimer:

I first got to know Allan Batty during the very early 1990’s when I started demonstrating at the National wood working shows. We became good friends and often worked together at symposiums, exhibitions and teaching venues in the UK and abroad.

He was highly talented, admired and respected throughout the woodturning world and by his peers, he had unique turning skills and not a bad dancer as well. On the Norwegian woodturning cruise he and I danced a version of the Highland fling on board ship on the upper deck somewhere on a Norwegian Fjord.

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2016, 04:44:37 PM »
Apart from being a good turner he was also a gentleman. A sad loss (again) for our craft.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2016, 08:43:55 PM »
A very sad loss, missed by all and especially the woodturning fraternity.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Dave Atkinson

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Macclesfield
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2016, 08:31:02 AM »
Ray Key has sent me two recollections of Allan:

Dale Nish was driving Allan, Bonnie Kleine and myself to a restaurant at the Utah Seminar some years back, Allan was on a roll telling story after story,
This one that stuck in my mind, when he was young he was a seaman, not sure if Royal or Merchant Navy, anyway after one trip he arrived at his mothers house in the middle of the night.

He knocked on the door but couldn't raise anyone, so he started throwing stones at the bedroom windows and got a response.
An irate guy opened a window and wondered what the hell he was up to. It transpired his mother had moved house, but hadn't told Allan!

We were demonstrating together at one of the Axminster Shows some years ago and I had bought some thread chasers, I asked Allen if they were good ones.
He said the best on the market but they need an hours grinding before they are useable, he said I would grind them for me but was too busy at the time.

I said I didn't expect him to that, he promptly gave me his DVD and said that will show and tell you all you need to know.

He was fine fine craftsmen with superb skills.

Offline Dave Atkinson

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Macclesfield
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2016, 10:35:52 AM »
Steve has let me know the funeral arrangements which are:

It will be held at Wigan Crematorium on Tuesday 26th July at 1.00pm.

The address is Warrington Road, Lower Ince, Wigan WN3 4NH

Allan wanted a quite funeral, so requested no flowers, but donations could be made to the PSP association.

Steve Nunn

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2016, 03:41:23 PM »
Just a further point on Allan's funeral.

if anyone is intending to go, could you please let me know, just so that we have an idea of numbers.

You can just drop me a mail via my pm.

Thanks

Steve

Offline ALAN THOMAS RPT

• copper
    • atwoodturning.com
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2016, 08:36:21 AM »
Just heard the sad news about Allan. I had the pleasure of watching Allan demonstrate a couple of times and it was an education as well as being fun. If you want to get some idea of Allans sense of humour ask his son Stuart about being sacked from his dad's workshop not once but twice!
A sad loss for the turning world and my sympathies go to his family and friends.
just one last cut and it will be perf...oh boll.....!

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2016, 04:34:28 PM »
Very sad and thoughts are with his family.