Author Topic: Ball and Sphere Turning Success!  (Read 5258 times)

Offline GoodGreeff

• iron
Ball and Sphere Turning Success!
« on: May 12, 2016, 06:48:09 AM »
Here is some Holly, a beautiful blonde wood, being turned and polished to make a ball and box by Holly, a beautiful blonde girl. Holly wanted help to make a Bandsaw box, and then her second project, ever, was this ball and box.
Sphere turning can be made easy with a good jig, and by using easy tools. Holly uses a parting tool to rough turn the balls, and it really works very well for her because it must be one of the easiest turning tools to use - provided one keeps the gap in the wood wide enough, which Holly demonstrates beautifully in the video.
Both Holly and I shall be very grateful for advice on how to rough turn a ball the easy way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxTcYRAHPjg&index=1&list=PLRxFMAyDXxYDC7ycBq0ygJBvhCh3Xsu4q

« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 07:11:53 AM by GoodGreeff »

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Re: Ball and Sphere Turning Success!
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2016, 06:58:27 AM »
The video just caused me alarm....loose hair, rings on the finger, a bangle loose on the wrist, inappropriate tool use (the list goes on).....that's no way to turn safely and I feel that it has no place in a responsible video for others to learn from or to be inspired by.

I can't comment on the photos because they are not visible to me.

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2016, 08:04:08 AM »
Typical of some of the unsafe rubbish on Utube.

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline GoodGreeff

• iron
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2016, 08:05:19 AM »
"Education is important, but wood turning is importanter."
1. Learning takes place over time, and RISK is part of learning. Bicycles, skateboards, driving, ladders, tools. One cannot expect a first time turning to be perfect in every detail. The first objective is to get a successful outcome, enjoyment, and praise. Then one learns to do things better and better every time.
2. We did, actually, start off by tying up her hair, and we also went out to buy a pair of gloves that fitted her.
3. If you can't say something in a nice way, say nothing at all.
4. Praise in public, censure privately.
5. Your comments are more likely to get Holly and me to stop turning than to start turning, or start turning more safely.

I paraphrase your comment:
The video is great because it achieves success in turning a perfect sphere, and two good boxes with lids, and the turning jig is used to turn concave and convex curves. It shows how we all start out: We achieve our first and most notable successes when we know nothing about what we are doing. Clearly woodturning is much more importanter than education, especially when we start out the first time.

The video caused me alarm, I felt like a parent letting go of the bicycle, or the parent giving the car keys to a 17 year old who runs on an overdose of testosterone. I saw loose hair, rings on the finger, a bangle loose on the wrist, inappropriate tool use (the list goes on), but I also saw that education was coming gradually, brand new gloves appear, a plain rubber band is pressed into service to tie up the loose hair, and the safety glasses are in place. If I were old and miserable I would say that's no way to turn safely and I feel that it has no place in a responsible video for others to learn from or to be inspired by. As it is, I am delighted to contribute by welcoming another raw beginner, and to give full and wholesome praise for a fine and beautiful product that has been produced. Well done!

I would like to comment on the photos, but they are not visible to me. I see that this is the first time you have tried to post a message, and to link a video, and to attach photos. Clearly this is not easy, because I see that there is a whole discussion on the subject of photos not uploading. I hope that you manage to overcome all the difficulties you face, and please let me know if I can help.

Offline GoodGreeff

• iron
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2016, 08:08:53 AM »
"Typical of some of the unsafe rubbish on Utube", said the man who says: "The man that never made a mistake never made anything" while himself making the mistake of misspelling youtube.

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2016, 08:10:16 AM »
You say Risk is a part of learning I have never heard such rubbish in my opinion you should not be teaching with an attitude like that.
I am almost speechless over your casual attitude to safety and risk.

Regards George

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2016, 08:11:58 AM »
If you post items on a forum such as this, then you must be prepared to take objective criticism. I feel, despite your response, that the practices shown in your video are unsafe, and that is my objective criticism.
As for your comment that 'The first objective is to get a successful outcome...' SAFETY should be the first objective, above enjoyment and praise. I do not consider it to be a successful outcome when you subject a learner to potentially unsafe experiences.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2016, 08:16:49 AM »
The risk I advocate is the risk of trying new things not risk of injury.
If the best you can do is pick me up on poor spelling I suggest you start taking things a bit more seriously.
I teach many students and the first thing I teach them is Safety and teach them to never take risks.
You have in my opinion a very bad attitude and I doubt you would ever learn or take advise from anybody so I wont waste my time trying

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2016, 08:31:07 AM »
Looking at this video there are many safety aspects that are shown, turning safely is the most important thing.

Sadly YouTube is full of this type of video and others will watch and learn from it but they might not have someone standing over there shoulder when things go wrong.

Yes we should help others enjoy woodturning but safely. To teach properly you should be taught properly.

This is not a good video.

Could I recommend that you work through the AWGB Let's Teach Turning course before someone gets hurt here's the link http://www.awgb.co.uk/ltt/player.html

And yes the ball and cup look very nice

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2016, 08:43:35 AM »
This forum is open to everyone and everyone interested in turning is welcome to use it. Having said that, this forum is also the face of a national body aiming to teach safety as well as an ever improving quality and members have to show some regard to that when choosing what to post here. ( my personal opinion )

I see no point in repeating what others have said but this video is full of issues that should not be dismissed lightly...... and the thought of improving safety by using a pair of gloves is horrifying.
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2016, 08:47:52 AM »
[quote author=Graham
opinion )

I see no point in repeating what others have said but this video is full of issues that should not be dismissed lightly...... and the thought of improving safety by using a pair of gloves is horrifying.
[/quote]

No dust mask when sanding and only safety glasses .Such a pretty face should have a full face mask. Just to mention two more things

Offline GoodGreeff

• iron
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2016, 09:21:36 AM »
Dear Windy and George,
I am not teaching, I am learning. We are both new at this, and in my first post, ever, I ask for help and advice, so please advise, instead of telling me I am rubbish at what I do. I know that, what I want to know is how to do better, and so far I am not getting the help I asked for.
All I am getting is the bold message that I should NOT post on the forum of the Association of Woodturners of Great Britain; that I should NOT post on YouTube; and that I should not try to learn woodturning.
Francois

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2016, 09:32:11 AM »
You say you are not teaching when you obviously are and putting it up on YouTube.
When you started this thread you did not say you were learning so what sort of response did you expect.
I respectfully suggest you get some tuition from a pro turner learn how to turn safely before you try to teach.

Offline Nick Simpson

• bronze
    • Boglecraft
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2016, 10:02:30 AM »
Welcome to the Forum.
I would strongly ask you to remove your video from youtube.

I suppose its merit - if there is any - is that it is so frighteningly dangerous that it is almost unwatchable except for thrill seeekers. Should have a R rating along with Freddy Kruger. :o :o

The novices among us (in which group I include myself) look to the AWGB for high level teaching and best practice. I have benefited from the advice of all those who have commented above.

Please join a local club. You will find loads of very helpful  and friendly advice. I am Health and Safety Officer for the club which I attend (just to put my comments in context).
Regards
Nick
See me at Boglecraft  https://www.Boglecraft.co.uk

Offline GoodGreeff

• iron
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2016, 10:19:39 AM »
Dear Edbanger,
Thank you for the link to the AWGB "Teach Turning Course" (http://www.awgb.co.uk/ltt/player.html). I had no idea that it existed, and I have never seen anything like it on the internet. I had a brief look at it, and within minutes I realized that theory and practice are vastly different.
I have seen several teaching demonstrations, some by internationally recognized turners, and not once did I see the demonstrator use a dust mask. I have been to the Yandles wood fair, and no-one there used a mask. I guess this is because the demonstrators are talking while they demonstrate, and one cannot talk through the mask. They do not use dust extractors either, but I once saw a demonstrator try to use one. It was turned off for us to hear what was being said.

Please go to 7 Minutes and 27 seconds into the ball and box video and look at how the dust flies off towards Holly, and makes a complete turn into the opposite direction, straight into the very good dust extractor hose that ends a few inches from the wood in the lathe. In addition to the dust extractor, we do have two good quality dust masks (3M 06941 Respirator, page 14, https://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/473961O/3m-automotive-aftermarket-safety-directory-safety-protection.pdf) that we use when the dust extractor is not sufficient. They are far better than the masks recommended in the training video.