Author Topic: Bandsaw blades  (Read 10699 times)

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
Bandsaw blades
« on: April 18, 2016, 08:40:40 AM »
I get through a lot of Bandsaw blades I am interested to know where you get them from and have you made comparisons so that you are sure the ones you are buying are the best.

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Re: Bandsaw blades
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2016, 09:33:08 AM »
I have recently bought an old Startrite, and before that had a much smaller bandsaw, but have bought almost all of my blades from Bamford Trading. There was one occasion when I bought elsewhere, but the brazing was low quality and each of the 4 blades that I bought cracked on the braze within a week of being fitted, so I returned to Bamfords and have never been disappointed with their blades.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/bamfordtrading/

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline philstevenson

• copper
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2016, 10:49:40 AM »
I use these people and have found their quality and durability excellent. Their personal service has been outstanding when I've had a query and they are well priced for a better than average blade. I think it's the Supertuff Premium I had last time.
http://www.tuffsaws.co.uk/index.php?route=common/home

Offline Richard S

• iron
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2016, 02:36:05 PM »
George I have been using Hamilton Beverstock and found them to be more resilient to my abuse than others I have used but never carried out a comparison between makes.

Price is good and service is excellent

Richard

Offline julcle

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2016, 04:04:14 PM »
I use Hamilton Beaverstock as well but only because they are a few hundred yards up the road. I don't punish the bandsaw like George does either but saying that I have never had an issue with the blades, table saw or bandsaw.
Crowvalley Woodturners
Julian

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2016, 06:39:54 PM »
George like you I get through  a few bandsaw blades I use KR Saws http://www.krsaws.co.uk/ their service as always been good not had a problem with their blades.

Ed

Offline MCB

• gold
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2016, 09:33:06 PM »
I get through a lot of Bandsaw blades I am interested to know where you get them from and have you made comparisons so that you are sure the ones you are buying are the best.

Regards George
I  bought some blades for my old bandsaw from NLS Tools at Waltham Cross. When I  replaced the bandsaw, I  contacted NLS and asked if they would  give me anything in part exchange for the unused blades.

nlstools.co.uk

The chap said that if  I  took them along, he would  do a straight swap for the more expensive new ones.

I  thought that was a very good deal and will go back.

None of the blades that I  bought from NLS have broken.

MC Black

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2016, 08:17:01 PM »
I`ve always used Axminster bandsaw blades and never had a problem with them,I`m just a hobby turner though,so they don`t get as much abuse as the professionals give them on a day to day basis,cheers,

Eric.
welcome to my woodturning world

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2016, 11:19:38 PM »
I buy mine from Yandles. When they get blunt I sharpen them myself, you can do this about 5 times and then you need to send them off for a machine sharpen. Saves me money in the long run.

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2016, 07:29:05 AM »
I have used Hamilton Beverstock for several years and am always pleased with the service.

http://shop.hamiltonbeverstock.com/

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2016, 11:26:42 AM »
For cutting blanks I use the M42 blades from Tuffsaws. They are more expensive but last an awful lot longer. They are even supposed to survive the odd nail!

Customer service is also excellent with Tuffsaws.

Offline wellturnedout

• iron
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2016, 05:16:38 PM »
Hi I also use Tuff Saws. 3Tooth with exra set, wonderfull for cutting wet wood. also have never had one fail. the man is very knowledgeable and helpfull.

Ryan Davenport AWGB

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2016, 01:11:42 PM »
I also use Tuffsaws, I use sabrecut for cutting thick stock and I can use the max depth my bandsaw will do without issues, I also use the vari-tooth blades for small / medium  stock and the M42 14tpi for all other stuff. I needed to cut around 20 metres worth of 5mm chequer plate aluminium once and used the M42 blade for it, afterwards I couldn't even tell I had used it to cut the aluminium it was just as sharp!!
As you can probably tell I recommend Ian at Tuffsaws hands down.

Offline DDB

• iron
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2016, 01:54:58 PM »
Tuffsaws for me too, had been using Axminsters blades on my record bandsaw but after I'd finished converting a Startrite 352 to single phase I bought blades from Tuffsaws and really rate them.
Darren.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2016, 08:14:20 AM »
....the M42 14tpi for all other stuff....
Ryan....I'd be interested to know whether or not the added cost of the M42 blade is reflected in its usable life....do you get what you pay for in terms of increased life-span?
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.