Author Topic: Unturnable wood.  (Read 2884 times)

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Unturnable wood.
« on: March 18, 2016, 10:53:46 AM »
I'm sure that there will be a lot of people who don't like this but surprisingly perhaps this sort of work does sell well. I wouldn't normally put it up but in response to Erics query what to do with his piece I said I would. It is a piece of unknown wood that I scrounged from Les some time ago. Soft, rotten and totally unturnable. I wire brush all the loose stuff away and then polish it with micro wax. The marble is flecked with fish scales, the little white patches on it in the picture. It is 350mm tall

Pete
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 11:24:40 AM by bodrighywood »
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
Re: Unturnable wood.
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2016, 11:05:07 AM »
great piece of art there Pete,should sell well,I`ve just been given more unturnable wood by my sister,but will still have a go at it,as,i think I can get something out of them,I`ll just take a before and after pic on these though,cheers,

Eric.
welcome to my woodturning world

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2016, 08:11:14 PM »
I can really see the attractiveness of this but also note that it only works well with a very well modelled (in this case) Buddha. A cheap or badly formed figure would seriously detract from it.

However I think the idea is well though out and executed. Very clever.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2016, 08:37:32 PM »
I agree Brian. We have seen some of the caricature, laughing ones and they simply don't work. We have a contact who gets these for there shop and they are ideal for thissort of thing.

Pete

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2016, 08:49:00 PM »
A bit of a coincidence, this! We've been discussing the selling power of Buddha quite a lot today. We sell a range of home accessories that we believe compliment my work, and if there's one thing that sells, it's a good Buddha.
I might just nick your idea of coupling my crappy bits of wood (and I've got a few!) with a little Buddha.

Nice one, Pete...Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2016, 09:00:18 PM »
I have a copule of others on the go at the moment Les, I'll let you have a look later if you want . As Brian ays though a decent buddha is important. Look fpor the tibetan or chinese ones.

Pete

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2016, 08:47:01 AM »
Great use of some rotten wood Pete, in my shop that would have gone on the burner for sure.

Ed

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2016, 09:42:00 AM »
Pete I find this piece strangely attractive. I even like the base and Buddha, what I don't understand is the correlation with Buddha and the wood. Is it possible to explain this for me please?

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2016, 10:19:18 AM »
In buddhist tradition Buddha wandered around and lived the life of a beggar spending a lot of time sitting uder trees and out in the open meditating. The overall idea is simply showing these little buddha statues in as natural a way as possible. Bottom line if it looks right it is right LOL. No super spiritual meaning etc.

pete

Offline ChrisF

• gold
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2016, 10:50:00 AM »
Strangely appealing!  I like it.  If you want some more 'unturnable wood' pop round, I've got more than you shake a rotten stick at....

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2016, 02:39:28 PM »
Thanks for that Pete, I just wondered that's all. I really do like this piece.