Author Topic: STC chucks  (Read 4429 times)

Offline horrorboy64

• iron
STC chucks
« on: March 06, 2016, 07:57:52 PM »
Hi all. Does anybody know anything about SCT lathe chucks sold by Chronos Engineering? They do a 115mm & a 95mm version, both m33 direct threaded with a set of 5 jaws in a nice case. They look like alternatives to record powers sc3 & sc4, any idea how they compare? Many thanks.

Offline MCB

• gold
Re: STC chucks
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2016, 12:10:32 AM »
Hi all. Does anybody know anything about SCT lathe chucks sold by Chronos Engineering? They do a 115mm & a 95mm version, both m33 direct threaded with a set of 5 jaws in a nice case. They look like alternatives to record powers sc3 & sc4, any idea how they compare? Many thanks.

They look very similar to the Viper Chucks sold by Charnwood.

I  have a Viper3 and have experienced no problems to date.

If you can manage to visit Chronos at their new premises, I  would  recommend doing so.I've always found their staff very helpful.

MC

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2016, 11:14:57 AM »
just had a look at the Chronos web site,they have what looks like some real bargains for the woodturnerchucks drive centres etc;

cheers,

Eric.
welcome to my woodturning world

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2016, 09:45:55 AM »
Charnwood are doing a good deal at the moment with their 137mm viper5 chuck package,you get the chuck 4 sets of jaws,a faceplate ring,a drive centre,screw for mounting bowls,a thread adaper and an aluminium case to store it all in for £209.00 including VAT.
welcome to my woodturning world

Offline MCB

• gold
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2016, 09:57:56 AM »
Charnwood are doing a good deal at the moment with their 137mm viper5 chuck package,you get the chuck 4 sets of jaws,a faceplate ring,a drive centre,screw for mounting bowls,a thread adaper and an aluminium case to store it all in for £209.00 including VAT.

If you can wait until Charnwood have an Open Day, they offer special [ie better than normal] deals on the packages.

I  rang up the day before their open day a few years ago and bought the Viper3 package at the open day price.

MCB

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2016, 10:22:41 PM »

A friend of mine purchased a Charnwood Chuck and has had nothing but trouble with it he even took the time to drive to the Charnwood office and the treatment he received was very poor.I don't know if anyone else has had problems.

Regards John
John Smith

Offline MCB

• gold
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2016, 11:22:58 PM »

A friend of mine purchased a Charnwood Chuck and has had nothing but trouble with it he even took the time to drive to the Charnwood office and the treatment he received was very poor.I don't know if anyone else has had problems.

Regards John

I  paid £149 for the Viper 3 Package in 2013 [this included Viper3, V3ALU, V3FJ5, V3SJ, V3PJ, V3WJ, ViperID] advertised as saving £76

One of the screws for the Bowl reversing jaws was mis-formed. I  contacted Charnwood and they sent two replacements

I've  found them pleasant and helpful both before and after purchase and when subsequently visiting their opendays

MC