Author Topic: Two wood bowl  (Read 3153 times)

BarryMobbs

Two wood bowl
« on: August 23, 2011, 09:53:37 PM »
 This bowl was inspired by Simon Hope who demonstrated the technique at our local club. The inner bowl is flowering cherry and the outer sycamore. It is finished with sanding sealer and paste wax. The diameter is 140mm and it is 60mm high.
 Unfortunately it is only worth half what it should be because I forgot to put the £1 coin between the two bowls.
 As always your comments are very welcome.  Barry

Offline Martin Lawrence

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Kidderminster Worcestershire
Re: Two wood bowl
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011, 10:15:39 AM »
Hi Barry,

I like the effect, I hope your sycamore was well seasoned if not it may split as you have included the pith at the top of your bowl and as it dries and tries to curl in, the cherry may not move and crack goes a nice bowl.

I personally think the foot is a bit to big, and a little longer on the finishing is needed to get rid of the tear out marks, but certainly one to progress.

Cheers Martin.
Martin Lawrence

Offline Dave Atkinson

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Macclesfield
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2011, 01:30:34 PM »
hello Barry

I like the idea and like Martin I'd have preferred a smaller foot.

For me I'd also prefer the undercut to have been a flowing curve, but again just personal preference.

I also see you have the same problem as me when i finish with wax.  if there's some sort of inclusion the wax always finds its way there.  I've found picking it out with a sharp nail and a toothbrush help (make sure it's not your toothbrush though).

Hope that helps

Cheers Dave

PS you could always pretend there was a quid in between :o :o  ;D

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2011, 10:23:34 PM »
Been looking at this bowl since you posted like others I agree that the foot does look a bit on the large size.

Not having tried this type of bowl are the two glued together or a close fitting push fit

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2011, 01:06:15 AM »
Barry, a well executed bowl, like your take on it, with not seeing Simon Hopes demonstration, can't really judge the piece, had your chuck size governed the slightly large foot, as could the shape of the cherry in limiting the design, it is hoped that both timbers are stable, shame if one should crack, nice bowl and well done.

Excellent tips lads...

David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

BarryMobbs

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2011, 08:38:58 PM »
Thanks for your comments everyone.
 The two bowls were actually rough turned some time ago so they are not likely to move much and I don't expect any cracking (So, like the spanish inqisition, cracks will probably appear). I regularly include the pith in my work and have not had much trouble with it. The foot may look a bit bulky in the photographs but it is better in reality.
 I turned the inner bowl first, using a spigot on the 'foot', incorporating a slight taper on the outside diameter before parting it off. I then turned a matching taper inside the outer bowl which was gradually increased in diameter until the inner bowl fitted into it. The joint was glued using CA adhesive and then the outside and top finish turned.
   Barry