Author Topic: Oak, Wenge and Elm Burr 'thingy'  (Read 3607 times)

Offline Steve Jones

• gold
    • the woodturners
Oak, Wenge and Elm Burr 'thingy'
« on: October 16, 2015, 09:46:00 PM »
Ok sometime ago on this forum I said I don't do art turning and I was encouraged to try it.
Well after 35 years of turning here is my first attempt at something unfunctional / art. I think it may well be my last (until I retire) as I very much doubt I could make a living producing this sort of work.
Your c&c is welcome but take it easy on me. sorry about the quality of photos my old iphone is no so good in dim light.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 11:45:22 PM by Steve Jones »

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: Oak, Wenge and Elm Burr 'thingy'
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2015, 10:46:49 PM »
To be perfectly honest.................the worst thing about it is the size of the photo. Seriously the only thing I would change is the bottom of it as it seems to end abruptly. If it was rounded off a bit so it seemed to float perhaps? For someone who doesn't do 'arty' stuff you don't do it very well.

pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Steve Jones

• gold
    • the woodturners
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2015, 11:16:47 PM »
Thanks Pete,
Not sure how to change the size of the photo's are they too big or too small?

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2015, 11:25:16 PM »
They are too big when you click on them. I can view them by holding the Ctrl key and scrolling but I suspect those tghat don't knpw how would have difficulty seeing them. They are 1467x1753 and could with being half that really. There are loads of freebie programmes that you can use to simply resize them.

Pete

Offline Steve Jones

• gold
    • the woodturners
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2015, 11:36:42 PM »
Pete is that better?

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2015, 12:20:47 AM »
I suspect that Pete meant to say "For someone who doesn't do 'arty' stuff you do it very well" (correct me, Pete, if I'm wrong). And I would agree. This is a lovely piece. It still has a functional aspect to it, and I actually disagree with Pete on the foot/bottom. I think it sits just nice, and it appears to grow out of the burr.

Offline rick_dobney

• bronze
    • Rick Dobney Woodturning
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2015, 12:34:41 AM »
Hi Steve
For an arty first timer that looks pretty good to me. I like the form and composition very much. I'm with Pete though on the foot. If you'd drilled or turned a mortice in the elm for the piece to sit in, the foot would look less abrupt and you'd see the contrast between the clean lines of the oak and the rough natural surface of the burr elm.
Great piece though....thanks for posting.
Cheers Rick

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2015, 07:20:41 AM »
There's tings about this that I like very much. I like the way that the lines of the knob echo the lines of the vessel, I also like the detail on the top, especially the ebonised bead, although I'm with the other guys on the foot-detail......doesn't stop me liking it, though.

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2015, 08:00:07 AM »
I suspect that Pete meant to say "For someone who doesn't do 'arty' stuff you do it very well" (correct me, Pete, if I'm wrong).
Warped English humour Fuzzy LOL. Yes I meant Steve does it very well. Yes that's better Steve. Les's suggestion about the foot would work as well. Not many turners make a lving out of just art style work but it is a lot of fun and very satisfying if you get it right. You wouldn't have much problem if this is an example of your ability.

Pete

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2015, 09:06:51 AM »
Hi Steve

Sorry but I do not like anything about this it is neither functional or decorative .If it was a vase it would not have a lid and as a box it would not work because you would have to turn it upside down to remove anything.
I think there is far too much detail on the lid and the knob does not look like it belongs there .
I cannot see any relationship between any of the elements for me it just does not work.
Don't give up the production work just yet but keep having a go at the Arty stuff.

Regards George

The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline Steve Jones

• gold
    • the woodturners
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2015, 10:37:04 AM »
Lol! Thanks George I respect an honest opinion. As they say you either love it or hate it.
Don't worry there's no danger of me giving up production work and this probably be the last effort at Art I prefer the one off functional items because I don't think I get 'art'.
Pete, while I did have fun making this I still love turning and get just as much fun and more satisfaction seeing a stack of components at the end of a day. Plus it's theraputic to me standing there making shavings.
Keep turning everyone whatever type it is the craft is alive and well.

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2015, 11:07:16 AM »
Hi Steve

I always try and give an honest opinion as I see it I don't do bullshit as I don't think telling something they have done is amazing when it obviously isn't.
Please keep having a go at the Arty stuff I am sure you will come up with some interesting works and it will make a break from production if you can find the time.

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2015, 06:57:48 PM »
Steve, at first I thought !!!!!

but no, it's good, not perfect. The lines of the vases curves are all great, the lid balances and the knob/finial sits really well.

Not sure about the base though, if the vase had been slightly inset or something it might have looked better, but the interface between the two does not quite work for me, it's just too abrupt.

But I like the vase tremendously.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Steve Jones

• gold
    • the woodturners
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2015, 07:28:26 PM »
Thanks Bryan,
I agree with everyone's comments on the base and wish I had drilled the burr to take the stem.
Those of you on twitter will see I was never very certain with the base and even had a different design but that was totally wrong. Still we live and learn.
I really appreciate the time people have taken to comment, a post on a forum is meant to stimulate discussion.

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2015, 03:00:18 PM »
Hi Steve

The dark side you are being seduced by.  8) It is always fun to try new things as is the change, release from the same day in day out work. Thanks for sharing and you done good on your first outing.  :)