Author Topic: Hands on.  (Read 5994 times)

Offline TONY MALIN

• gold
  • Rugby Warwickshire
Hands on.
« on: October 16, 2015, 02:22:53 PM »
I would welcome suggestions about structuring hands on events. We've tried various ways of getting people to participate with varying success.

I heard recently of a club event when nobody turned anything. They sat around chatting.

Tom Sherman

Re: Hands on.
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2015, 03:28:50 PM »
Tony, the club I belong to is going to have a demonstration later this month where the man doing the demo will not be turning. He is going to be talking about form, and embellishments and plans to bring some slides to back up his topic. Not sure how this is going to be received never attended a demo such as this.

Offline David Buskell

• gold
    • At The Cutting Edge
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2015, 04:47:22 PM »
Tony,
This is a problem all clubs have, be they in the UK< USA or elsewhere!  We find it difficult to get a hands-on started but you sometimes just need one or two people to get behind the lathe/on the bandsaw/on the sharpening to get things going.
I admit I don't mind  getting things started but am not always successful in getting our members to follow!
David
David
At The Cutting Edge

Offline steve w

• bronze
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2015, 05:05:13 PM »
when i went to the club the hands on evening was the local tutor chatting and helping his paying regulars - i was keen but never got close to the lathe.
why do i feel the need to turn a block of wood into shavings?

Offline burywoodturners

• gold
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2015, 05:26:56 PM »
We have the same problem, and it extends to competitions as well, we only seem to get entries from the committee.
Basically it is because members turn out for an evenings entertainment and do not want risk potential embarrassment at the lathe.
We keep trying but it is slow going
Ron

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2015, 07:45:55 PM »
I have spent a bit of time pondering this problem of apathy on hands on nights. As Ron said there is probably an element of embarrassment or not wishing to show any failings on the lathe (which contradicts why we have hands on nights in the first place) but something that I thought of is what if it was called something different? So how about workshop night?That way everyone will know not to turn up in good clothes so there will be no worry about ruining a good shirt or pair of trousers (Sorry but I am using male analogies here but we have the same problems with the ladies)I feel that there should be a purpose to the evening. At my club these nights are a little bit disjointed but we normally have someone showing how to sharpen, one of our friends from this site normally brings his skew chisels in and shows the correct way to use them and we have another couple of lathes going with various bits and pieces being done but it is all a bit hap hazard.
        Like Tony I would appreciate comments on how to make the evening more structured as I do notice on hands on night members leaving early. One thing I do notice though is the buzz of conversation going on and if it is all about turning well we have a success on our hands don't we?

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2015, 08:48:03 PM »
Ah, yes, Apathy...

... Our countries leading cause of, whatever…

and I don't think you will find it's just woodturning clubs. Member participation is a difficult thing to get. In assisting at Shows, doing demonstrations, Hands On stands, you name it, you can probably already name the few that will volunteer to do or assist.

Some people don't think they are good enough, some are too embarrassed, some think they have nothing to show or say, some just won't.

I have no more answer than anyone else, but I have found that gentle cajoling when someone has something to offer, a skill, understanding or particular ability, that could be shared, helps.

I've also tutored people who might to give them the confidence to do a small demo, and once they get a taste for it, they often have a second go.

Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2015, 09:25:39 PM »
It would be interesting to ask members why they belong to a club. I suspect that for some it is just a social event and the idea of participating in any way is not even considered. I do wonder if part of the problem is also that there is a dearth of young members in many clubs and also of the fairer sex. How many members of a given club actually still turn?

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline steve w

• bronze
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2015, 08:37:30 AM »
It would be interesting to ask members why they belong to a club. I suspect that for some it is just a social event and the idea of participating in any way is not even considered. I do wonder if part of the problem is also that there is a dearth of young members in many clubs and also of the fairer sex. How many members of a given club actually still turn?

Pete

The club i went to first hardly amy members turned - most were just going for a night out - bit dissapointing as i wanted to learn, i did however go to another club which was much better but the evening conflicted with work so had to stop,
why do i feel the need to turn a block of wood into shavings?

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2015, 11:25:27 AM »
Our club do hands on evenings and the level of participation is always very good. We have two or three lathes in use and get the members involved, having a go at whatever we are trying to show them.

If you want to avoid people sitting around and chatting, hide the chairs! ;-)

Offline TONY MALIN

• gold
  • Rugby Warwickshire
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2015, 01:46:12 PM »
Thanks for that Paul, but how do you set about getting things going?

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2015, 11:05:53 PM »
We just agree on a subject beforehand, set up the lathes on the evening and start turning.

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2015, 07:34:50 AM »
Having read this post I have to hold my hands up, I go along to the hands on meets we hold once a month on a Tuesday night and never do the hands on part.

It's always slow to start people stand back normally by the end of the night all four lathes are in use, but it take's a while. If people were straight on the lathe then I guess more would have ago as these are only quick small projects.

But reading this it seems they need someone to start, in future if no one put's their best foot forward I'll jump in to get the ball rolling.

Ed

Offline David J. Ross

• copper
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2015, 12:09:32 AM »
Hello Tony At our club we meet every two weeks on a Thursday night, the secretary sets out a diary of dates and asks one member to organise a particular type of turning for example natural edge bowls, candle holders etc etc. We have five lathes available and the person responsible for the particular night then gets upto four other members to turn there particular version of the chosen item. One person drew up a plan for a certain size of candle stick and had three other turners turn a certain pieces to complete the item.
Training is held once a month on a different night and some of these turners are now joining in the turning nights and they are not so nervous of using the lathes as they have had about 11 traing sessions on the laths
We ask our members not to crowd one particular turner

Offline TONY MALIN

• gold
  • Rugby Warwickshire
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2015, 02:41:14 PM »
Some interesting comments, but no one has come up with something "a bit different" which is what I was after.

So l'll offer a suggestion others might try.

Create teams of say four. Task is to create the highest tower in say 20 minutes. Requires pieces of wood 5x1x1/4 thick with a 1/2" hole pre-drilled at each end and one in the middle; and wood say 3/4 square X 4" long for the uprights; and a ball of string. Each member takes a turn (literally) to make an upright. Each upright turned at both ends to fit the slats. First stage uprights to have a single bead and cove. Second stage to have two beads and two coves , and so on. Top stage to have  four finials. Where possible each team to have two lathes.  nearly forgot. Needs a jig set to diameter of the holes.

Can get manic!