Author Topic: Yew box  (Read 2692 times)

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
Yew box
« on: October 14, 2015, 11:02:03 PM »
This is one of the designs out of my scrap book (why is it called a scrap book when you keep your design ideas in it? Is that maybe because most of them are crap?)

In any case, box is yew, stand is sycamore and panga panga. Foot is also sycamore, but ebonized with matt black spray paint. The rest is all finished with wax and polished slightly. All C&C welcome.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Re: Yew box
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2015, 06:43:16 AM »
I like the box and it has a good match-up of the grain, but what I'm not so keen on is the weight of the stand, it seems a little too strong a presence, dwarfing the box and visually taking over from it.

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2015, 12:30:43 PM »
Les, this goes to show that a drawing does not always capture all of the aspects of the real thing. It looked perfectly fine on paper, but I do admit your point, the stand is quite a strong element of the entire piece.

Tom Sherman

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2015, 06:05:02 PM »
Fuzzy I think this box would stand well on it's own. I like it.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2015, 06:16:29 PM »
Drawings and photos of objects in different material often don't translate. Annoying at times.

I like the overall idea and design a lot, one that is well worth tweaking I would have thought. Also worth thinking about it in different woods as some woods look heavier and bulkier than others.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2015, 08:31:22 PM »

Fuzzy the only thing I don't like about this piece is the foot.....  would have liked to see a flat
           on the white wood but as always down to personal choice.
           Kind Regards
           Tony & di
"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2015, 09:38:13 PM »
Thanks for all the comments. I am in fact already thinking about slightly different versions of this piece, with different colours and variations in the stand.
Tony: I did consider just a flat at the base but a) it would have disturbed the flow of the curve and b) I tried this on a different piece, and it wasn't very stable, because the surface area is so small.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2015, 06:51:36 PM »
The balance between the box and the stand is only a little off, but what I like about it is the use of the thing or board wood to create the external curve. Sometimes the easiest wood to come by, but the hardest to think of anything to do with it.

Play, there is lots of mileage in this general form.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!