Author Topic: Welsh Cherry....  (Read 2616 times)

Offline ChrisF

• gold
Welsh Cherry....
« on: October 10, 2015, 03:23:26 PM »
....well, maybe not actually Welsh......I was passing through Bala a few weeks ago so I popped in to say hello to Les and he very generously gave me a piece of cherry to play with.  I'm quite pleased with the result.  It's about 7" x 1.5", finished with microwatsit wax.  C&C most welcome, I know it's not perfect and always appreciate feedback.

Thanks Les, will see if I can get a piece of elm over to you, got far too much of it lying around  ;D ;D

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
Re: Welsh Cherry....
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2015, 03:45:59 PM »
I don't see much wrong with your work here. Good, balanced shape, nice finish. The only thing I would have done different: It appears that there are still some places on the outer edge that are not quite circular. With a dish/bowl of this type I probably would have turned it completely round, i.e. made it a bit smaller. These non-round bits just look odd, they are not pronounced enough to be a feature, so they just distract from what is otherwise a really nice piece. But that's just me.

Offline dubturner

• copper
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2015, 03:53:38 PM »
I cant see much wrong with it either.
Lovely finish nice shape. I probably would have made it smaller and completely round but that's a personal preference.
One small thing - it may be the light but it looks as if there may be a bit of wax residue left in the grooves.
Well done
Pat

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2015, 07:07:56 PM »
O dear what a shame to make a nice bowl and spoil it by leaving a lump out of the rim whatever were you thinking of.
I suggest you put it back on the lathe and make it round then you will have a very nice bowl

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2015, 09:19:26 PM »
Natural defects can be attractive (IMHO) but this is as said more like a bit that broke off or just not rounded properly. The bowl is otherwisse fine so get it back on and rounded off as said and you will have a good, well shaped one.

pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline ChrisF

• gold
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2015, 04:38:07 PM »
Oooh, tough crowd!  But then that's why I post here.....love y'all really  ;D ;D

I'll get it back on the lathe.....just as soon as I can work out how...... ??? ???

Offline steve w

• bronze
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2015, 06:12:29 PM »
Oooh, tough crowd!  But then that's why I post here.....love y'all really  ;D ;D

I'll get it back on the lathe.....just as soon as I can work out how...... ??? ???

nice bowl chris - the above remind me of these chaps  :D :D - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKXlhpeb6wI&feature=player_embedded
why do i feel the need to turn a block of wood into shavings?

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2015, 09:10:11 PM »

nice bowl chris - the above remind me of these chaps  :D :D - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKXlhpeb6wI&feature=player_embedded
And I can hear them saying it too. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Chris a very nice bowl but I'm afraid I agree with the comments already made. Remounting it should not be a problem, you may need to turn some shaped mandrels to do so but it will work just fine and then you will end up with a lovely piece of work.