Author Topic: Christmas is coming  (Read 3064 times)

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Christmas is coming
« on: September 29, 2015, 10:37:02 PM »
No more turning for a few days for me.
Got the first of several big shows this weekend, Friday - Sunday at Hyde End. We find that the bigger, juried shows tend to work better for us and we pretty much avoid the traditional town hall type ones. Just wondering if anyone else is doing large shows between now and Christmas?

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
Re: Christmas is coming
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2015, 01:25:45 PM »
HI Pete

All the best with it, hope you have lots of shows. Personally I do not go to shows, not because they are not worth it, just not what I choose to do.

Liz however goes once a year to a large Christmas show at a public school, the sort that the royals use to send their children to, as a result they not only sell lots of interior items but the main part is they get lots of business from it. There was one chap there last year selling long baguette boards, you know, the ones that you carry a hot baguette out on in the summer to the table, they were priced between £80-£120 about 20, x 6 x 1 inches, beech, maple,  with a simple handle on the end. he sold out in the first day.

Obviously the better shows are more expensive, but you get people that are more likely to spend than some of the smaller shows. Either way I wish you all the best with it.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2015, 05:09:07 PM »
I'm doing an all-day demo at the National Botanic Garden of Wales, turning (would you believe it) mushrooms....as a part of their mushroom festival. Basically, they were looking for craft workers to pay a table-fee and to have a mushroom-themed craft-fair, but as I'm doing a demo, they'll waive all costs and let me sell as well.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2015, 05:22:14 PM »
I'm doing an all-day demo at the National Botanic Garden of Wales, turning (would you believe it) mushrooms....as a part of their mushroom festival. Basically, they were looking for craft workers to pay a table-fee and to have a mushroom-themed craft-fair, but as I'm doing a demo, they'll waive all costs and let me sell as well.
Les

ah but is it really mushrooms they are wanting you to turn  :o :o 8)

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2015, 05:57:04 PM »
Fly agaric are the ones people like Les, (magic mushrooms to you) pretty red colour.

pete

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2015, 01:28:20 PM »
Les,

I do a couple of 'if you demonstrate the table is free' shows at a national trust venue, and very lucrative they are.

Well done on blagging that one.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2015, 11:26:24 PM »
Got that one at Hyde End out of the way and came out ahead with a couple of commisions to boot but means I have a heck of a lot of stock making to do to prepare for the rest of the year as well as some demos and a tuition day. Also had an email asking if I would like to do a three day show over at Pangbourne at the end of the month so it's going to be a busy couple of months ahead. Not that i am complaining LOL. Better than 9-5 in an office.

Pete

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2015, 07:09:04 AM »
Tell me more about the Pangbourne show Pete, thats only a few miles from me.
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2015, 09:22:03 AM »
Morning Graham. The fair is at Mapledurham House 31st Oct -0 1st Nov.  details here Not sure whether we will di it yet as we have four multi day shows already lined up before Christmas.

Pete

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2015, 11:57:38 AM »
used to do a dozen+ shows a year before my dad/chauffeur passed away so now only do one at eton college as it's round the corner and the people there usually have pockets down to their ankles.

however whilst i was there a lady looking for crafters for a fair in windsor asked me if i'd do the windsor craft fair and i picked a 3 day weekend that gives me 16 hours minimum of show for only £100.

it's late november so i'll see how it goes.