Author Topic: Fractal pyrography.  (Read 11193 times)

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Fractal pyrography.
« on: September 03, 2015, 09:27:13 AM »
I have come across this a few times now and love the effect but as yet haven't found a good explanation of how to do it. I see the basic idea but am not keen on playing without electrickery without some sort of idea what is safe etc. Anyone here done it or know where I could get some good instructins?

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: Fractal pyrography.
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2015, 06:44:32 PM »
Electrickery is something I don't know enough about to fiddle with unless it is fairly basic. This obviously isn't so thanks for the info. The videos on it make it look a lot easier than it obviously is so I think I will leave well alone even though I really like the effect you can get.

pete

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2015, 09:39:33 PM »
I agree with you Pete, taking the wires out of the bedside lamp and prodding a bit of wood with them sounds a tricky business.

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2015, 05:45:24 PM »
Certainly looks interesting, not that I know enough about it to try as I like living.

But there are loads of videos which as YouTube goes, I am sure some are good and others just dangerous

Link to You Tube deleted by Moderator
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 11:47:43 AM by Dave Atkinson »

Offline malcy

• gold
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2017, 10:43:51 PM »
Without being branded a killjoy, I wish to add to this thread by advising that the AAW has banned any work using this technique from any of it's events. This has been in response to a number of deaths from electrocution in USA in the last year or so. So BE WARNED. This is very dangerous unless you know exactly what you are doing electrically wise. Malcolm.

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2017, 06:18:15 AM »
Hi Pete

I was think about having a play with this effect, but did not like the idea of wiring something up as I don't understand enough about it.

Removed by moderator

All the best

Ed
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 02:52:03 PM by Paul Hannaby »

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2017, 08:52:09 AM »
Hello All,
                I have had a communication from someone at Oxfordshire Fire Brigade. There has been a recent fatality directly as a result of a person trying this out. I have to state as the H&S coordinator that the AWGB do no condone the use of electricity to enhance woodturning and as the Chairman of the RPT I emplore professional turners to discourage this practice amongst the woodturning fraternity.
[/size]
[/size][/color]

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2017, 10:10:28 AM »
I originally came across this two years ago (see original post) and long ago decided that it was not something that I would try. Whilst the effects achieved can be spectacular I see it as something that is best left alone unless you are very knowledgeable about the use of electricity etc. I am all for inventiveness etc but not if it means dabbling in something that I know little or nothing about, in this case electricity. Woodturning, if not done safely, can be dangerous enough without introducing what can be potentially fatal techniques.

Pete

Offline David Buskell

• gold
    • At The Cutting Edge
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2017, 10:50:58 AM »
Removed by moderator

I guess like all aspects of woodturning, Lichtenberg is dangerous and should be used with extreme care, as you would also when using a chainsaw, bandsaw, router etc.

Removed by moderator
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 02:42:41 PM by Paul Hannaby »
David
At The Cutting Edge

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2017, 04:19:38 PM »

David,
          I think the soundest advice is to not get involved with this practice (have you had a go yet?) just because the Americans do something we do not have to follow them.
 I know someone who has tried this but will never tell anyone how it is done he is a very wise man.

Regards John
John Smith

Offline dubturner

• copper
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2017, 12:43:23 AM »
Madness to try this - it is dangerous and anyway, haven't we got enough variety in the safer things we can do to produce beautiful pieces.

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2017, 06:22:36 AM »
I like the Lichtenberg effect but agree it's not worth risking your life for, there are plenty of other things that we can do.

Removed by moderator

Ed
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 02:44:19 PM by Paul Hannaby »

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2017, 08:09:54 AM »
...My thinking was that if this unit was manufactured in the USA with safety in mind, then it would be safe to use. The Americans are the first to sue if something goes wrong!...
...very true, Ed, but having said that, my understanding of the US attitude to H&S is that the manufacturer puts warning notices on everything and then lets you do what the heck you like. This applies even to demos on TV programmes (or should that be programs) by people like Norm Abram and the New Yankee Workshop....you'll hardly ever see a  fence or a guard in use!
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2017, 08:13:06 AM »
However safe it may be within legislation at the end of the day it is only as safe as the person using it. The level of electricity in this is seriously dangerous and however safe you make it it is still dangerous.

Pete

• platinum
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2017, 08:13:37 AM »
There is an article on face book about this, the chap died and left his wife a widow and his two sons fatherless. Is the pursuit of decoration (or the prospect of sales in Dave's friend's case) worth putting friends and family through the misery of losing some one? Personally I would like to see this process banned. If I am ever called on to judge a woodturning competition I will always ignore a piece that has been decorated using this method. This is my personal stand as I do not want to be seen to support in any way something as dangerous as this.