Author Topic: What are you making  (Read 6033 times)

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
What are you making
« on: August 27, 2015, 05:12:00 PM »
Hi all

The gallery and forum are very quiet other than general off topic stuff, so I was wondering what projects do you have on the go at the moment, not just woodturning, you might be building an extension.  :) ?

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
Re: What are you making
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2015, 06:17:03 PM »
This week I have spent all my free time configuring a new server, as my old one is showing signs of oncoming hardware failure and needs replacing (it's been running continuously for almost 13 years). When that is done, I will get back to restructuring my workshop (substantially!), so that I can fit in my new lathe, which I will hopefully be able to order soon (a twister from Simon Hope). Then and only then can I go back to do some woodturning. And I have to prepare for my first demo at Black Country Woodturners sometime in September (although that's mostly done already).

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 07:03:06 PM »
just been a bit busy to put up single bowls really as i've been making all my pins and balls. 39 sets of pins and 13 sets of balls, 7 chesses and i haven't finished yet as i've about 12 more customers.

must be about half a ton of merchandise this year that i've posted.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2015, 07:24:29 PM »
It's a very busy time here in Bala. Today I made my first delivery to a gallery in Caernarfon, for an exhibition that opens in a weeks time to publicise an open-door event involving 400 artists and artisans throughout north Wales. A week today I'll be one of a half dozen of us who are hosting a launch party at a major venue in Bala, where we'll be doing demos and displaying techniques and products. On Friday 4th, the open-door event goes live and we'll be open 7 days a week throughout September (as we have been, all July and August).
Oh, and just for good measure, we'll also be demo-ing at a Welsh historic buildings open-door event in a fortnight's time.

So to answer your question, Mark...I am making hay while the sun shines (that's metaphorical, not literal).

Busy----busy----busy!

Les
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 07:27:37 PM by gwyntog »
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2015, 07:25:57 PM »
I'm a tad off colour at the moment. Was making things for ABWT appearance at Treefest over the weekend, sat down and promptly fell asleep, still not feeling 100%.

So at the moment, I'm not in the workshop evenings - but I'm missing it.

For those that are interested - Treefest http://www.forestry.gov.uk/westonbirt-treefest
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline julcle

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2015, 07:48:24 PM »
Thanks for the reminder of Treefest Bryan, I went last year for the first time and will be going again this year. It's a day worth doing.  Julian
Oh by the way, what have I done this week. 3 x Bud Vases for a girl friend and a pile of light pulls for another friend that has just moved house and didn't like the plastic ones.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 07:50:10 PM by julcle »
Crowvalley Woodturners
Julian

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2015, 08:25:47 PM »
Getting ready for the Trowbridge exhibition. Had the final meeting today so sorted out local advertising and plinths and lifts and covers and lights and opening events and opening times and where to store the empty boxes and stuff like that. It is going very well. One of the pieces that I unwrapped today Mark was one of yours. Unwrapped to show the organisers the type of quality and diversity of the items that will be on show. Still got some bits to gather in.
     Tomorrow I am off to Stuart Mortimer's to help with the youth training event over the weekend. On top of all that....do you remember the white pierced bowl that I showed in the gallery last year(?) well it was up for sale for a princely sum and today I had a call to say it had been sold! So I am a very happy bunny at the moment.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2015, 09:20:29 PM »
A navajo spindle, takihili spindle for commissions that got delayed by some event last week and losads of boring pocket money things like tops, key rings, hairsticks etc etc etc for the Oak Fair. Nothing that would grab peoples interest

pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Steve Jones

• gold
    • the woodturners
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2015, 09:23:07 PM »
Nothing I am on holiday but loads when I return but nothing new.

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2015, 09:26:56 PM »
Well I've not seen my workshop and lathe since before the seminar, Been busy building the new studio and buy a few bits for it.

I think that I'm running out of steam working on the new build, so will be going back to the old workshop soon. But before I do I have a 3 day course, making a pole lathe and then learning to turn on it this weekend :)

Hopefully the sparkies get the power live on the new build tomorrow so I can have a play on my new toy :)

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2015, 09:31:58 PM »
wow, bloomin heck, what a wonderful build. When do I get my invite to look around.  :) :) :) I was joking when I said some of you may be building an extension. This is more of a holiday retreat than a new studio.

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2015, 10:08:25 PM »
Mark your more than welcome anytime.

Fingers crossed I'll be up and running when you do the master class, if I knew it would have been complete you could have done the master at mine :)

We have plenty of spare bedroom if you ever need a place to crash when your down here in super wet Kent :)

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2015, 10:10:46 PM »
Mark your more than welcome anytime.

Fingers crossed I'll be up and running when you do the master class, if I knew it would have been complete you could have done the master at mine :)

We have plenty of spare bedroom if you ever need a place to crash when your down here in super wet Kent :)

What's your address LOL? Be interested to know how you get on with the pole lathe. Have had a go and it is so different after a modern one.

Pete

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2015, 10:12:56 PM »
....when your down here in super wet Kent :)

....it can't be that wet...we've had all the rain here in Wales :(
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2015, 10:24:04 PM »
....when your down here in super wet Kent :)

....it can't be that wet...we've had all the rain here in Wales :(
Les

No you haven't a load fell here in Wiltshire as well. Just hope it has all finished by tomorrow night and the weekend is dry for the Oak festival.

pete