Author Topic: Paul Otlet's 147th birthday  (Read 2786 times)

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
Paul Otlet's 147th birthday
« on: August 23, 2015, 11:52:46 AM »
After seeing the Google doodle about Paul Otlet I looked him up just out of interest.......just a filing system really but it reminded me of something my late father told me about.
     After the war he (my father) had worked for the Timber Research Council and also the Timber Research and Development Agency (TRADA)who are still going today, but one of his jobs was to catalogue a list of timbers and timber classifications that had been compiled by a chap who was held as a POW during the WW2. I think, and forgive me but my memeory plays tricks on me, but I think the chaps name was HE Desh. What brought this to mind was seeing the drawers on the Google doodle as my father told me that they devised a system where you pulled the drawer out and stuck a pin through various holes in the assembled cards to correspond with each part of the  cell structure of the tree, colour, shape, size etc eliminating those that were not pertinent and eventually you would end up with one or two cards with a sample on and you could view it through a microscope and decide which species it was. Apparently it was very accurate.
I just thought this may interest you, I'm off now to Google HE Desh.

Offline malcy

• gold
Re: Paul Otlet's 147th birthday
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2015, 04:45:31 PM »
The filing system you describe I used about 30 years ago to find specific raw material properties of materials that were specified for use in the manufacturing process I was involved with. It was relatively simple and as you say extremely accurate. Long before computer filing systems and searches. Malcolm.

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2015, 05:00:51 PM »
try googling H.E. Desch  rather than "desh"

i've got a couple of his books including, Timber its structure and properties. i say a couple as i bought two by mistake.

anyone want one?

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2015, 05:35:59 PM »
I wouldn't mind a copy, PM me the details. Cheers

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2015, 05:38:39 PM »
I remember my Dad telling me that the information was given in on old cigarette papers and bits of scrap paper as that is all the chap could get hold of but it became the definitive works.

Offline TONY MALIN

• gold
  • Rugby Warwickshire
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2015, 07:47:14 PM »
Thanks for that John.  I detect a distinct resemblance to Paul Otlet. Could've been one of your ancestors. Desch's book has been revised many times. Amazon have a number of used copies of the paperback at £34 with more reprints on the way at £50.

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2015, 09:09:52 PM »
Tony same bald head and beard who knows!!

Offline TONY MALIN

• gold
  • Rugby Warwickshire
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2015, 11:28:49 PM »
I bet George is Jealous.