Author Topic: Ginger vase  (Read 11182 times)

Offline Sevilla

• bronze
Ginger vase
« on: August 22, 2015, 10:01:34 PM »
Hello, here is a 12 inch plus lid vase inspired by the chinese ginger vases. Could not do a chow chow or a defence lion so I opted for an acorn. May be not very effective for esthetics  nor defence but I liked it when I made it and now is there.
CandC welcome.

PS: I hope pictures are better now. Sometimes I like to see fine details, for which one needs a certain amount of pixels. Others may prefer dozens of pieces in one low resolution picture. Hope these pictures are a good compromise.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 01:45:35 AM by Sevilla »

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
Re: Ginger vase
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2015, 10:36:45 PM »
I wish you people would sort out how to upload pictures so that we can see them properly.
I am not prepared to adjust my settings so that I can view pictures that are uploaded wrong.

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2015, 11:01:46 PM »
Just hold the Ctrl key and scroll George, one way increases the size of the page, other way decreases.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2015, 07:54:37 AM »
If people take the trouble to learn how to upload pictures properly Pete there is no need for us to adjust the pics it is not difficult and all explained here http://www.awgb.co.uk/awgbforum/index.php/topic,202.0.html

Regards George

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2015, 08:28:32 AM »
Hi Sevilla

Thank you for sorting your pictures out that is much easier to see.
I quite like the shape of the main vessel but the top looks a bit too busy for me and the dark streak spoils it

Regards George

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2015, 08:29:40 AM »
Sevilla I sorry but this does not work very well for me. I think the shoulder should finish at nearly 90 degrees to the neck.  I also think that the acorn on this style of pot again does not look right. If it were me I would replace it with a knob.
 However these comments are down to personal taste so that is just me.
It looks like Ash? with a red stain of some sort in the grain, an effect that I quite like. Looks to be wll finished.
Well done.

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2015, 08:31:54 AM »
Just had another look at I think it is an Acorny thing on the top but I think a small round button would have looked better.
I don't think the Acorny thing is upright but that might be the picture.
Just my opinion of course.

Regards George

Offline Sevilla

• bronze
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2015, 11:39:26 AM »
Thank you for your comments.
You are right as I said it is an acorn, which notoriously is similar to an acorny thing.
Chinese spice vases often had a lion or an aggressive chow  chow as pommel on the lid as a defence of the content, the precious spices that the vase was suppose to contain.
The dark streak was in the wood of course, the sign of a long beatle attack.
Regards

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2015, 12:10:19 PM »
Sorry, but I am not a fan of this, neither in the original nor in your version. This shape just doesn't do much for me.

Ralph

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2015, 06:35:08 PM »
Not to my liking either. Sorry but it looks like a short dumpy man with a bowler hat.
However I like the red colouring, but the dark stain down the vase does detract slightly.

Ralph

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2015, 07:09:24 PM »
Not to my liking either. Sorry but it looks like a short dumpy man with a bowler hat.
However I like the red colouring, but the dark stain down the vase does detract slightly.

Ralph
Got me just right then! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2015, 07:22:50 PM »
Some very harsh comments I think.
This piece is obviously influenced by the ones in the other pictures and in my opinion without making an exact copy it is not that bad at all.

Regards george

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2015, 07:34:14 PM »
...Chinese spice vases often had a lion or an aggressive chow  chow as pommel on the lid...

Hi Sevilla....I quite like the shape of the vessel, but don't like the acorn.

I think that it can be a mistake to try to copy a shape made in one medium, be it glass or ceramics for example, and reproduce that shape in wood. Your photos of the Chinese jars are an excellent example, they are principally white and shiny, they are made of a material that our eyes immediately recognise and we process that image, making our decision as to whether we like the shape based on our knowledge of the material. When the same shape is reproduced in wood, our eyes read it very differently and out minds process the information very differently. Whilst we may have viewed the ceramic jar as looking right, we might well view the wooden copy as looking too heavy.

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2015, 07:38:15 PM »
Based on a chinese vase it is a pretty good copy. Looking at chinese pottery it often clashes with what we think of as correct in dimensions and design, some seems down right ugly at times. Oddly enough the only thing I am not that keen on for this is the  wood, I don't have a problem with the design or the 'acorny thing' LOL.

Pete

Just read Les's comment and agree, the graining is too heavy visualy perhaps.
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Ralph

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2015, 08:52:01 PM »
No insult intended TBH ;D