Author Topic: pen kits  (Read 4463 times)

theblindwoodturner

pen kits
« on: August 07, 2011, 10:59:39 AM »
Hi folks.

could anyone please recommend anyone who can supply pen kits in bulk quantities, preferably over 't' phone as I don't trust online ordering especially over "Fleabay"

cheers.

lew

Offline Philip Greenwood

• bronze
  • Professional Woodturner. North Yorkshire
    • Woodturning into Art
Re: pen kits
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 11:04:03 AM »
Hi

Yes Axminster sell then in 100.

Philip

theblindwoodturner

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2011, 11:06:45 AM »
are they reasonably priced? I don't want to find myself paying too much but at the same time paying for inferior pen kits. I've officially caught the bug of pen making after reviewing and demonstrating the Rotur Pro Deluxe pen system. I absolutely love it to bits. Seems strange making pens on the monster lathe. Mind you, for any demo shows or trade fairs I'll be investing in the JET mini variable speed lathe.

cheers phil, I'll look into it.

lew

Offline Martin Lawrence

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Kidderminster Worcestershire
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 09:06:11 AM »
Hi Phil,

Buying in such bulk will make it worth enquiries with Craft Supplies USA and checking out the import costs etc, I think it would work out the cheapest method.

Cheers Martin.
Martin Lawrence

Colin

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 07:23:36 AM »
If you are prepared to import then http://woodturningz.com are very good as well as Arizona Silhouette.

theblindwoodturner

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2011, 08:19:37 AM »
having looked into it, I think I'll go with axminster. At least I have a good connection with them and rely on them. Going to import a product is stressful enough so I'll leave that. OK it's a bit more expensive doing the axminster method but not a worry. It's only money in the end.

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2011, 03:42:13 PM »
Hi Lew, See my posting of the 2nd July about the extra costs of purchasing from USA ie over £18 in value attracts VAT at 20% plus
£8 handling charge from the Royal Mail if you purchase over £135 of goods then you are subject to import duty I have found Turners Retreat Good.Regards John 
John Smith

theblindwoodturner

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2011, 03:47:52 PM »
Cheers John, I'll get in touch with them and discuss bulk purchases.

I've officially become a pen making junkie lol. The pen is not mightier than the lathe lol

lew