Author Topic: A simple bowl  (Read 3655 times)

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
A simple bowl
« on: August 16, 2015, 08:01:15 PM »
I have several pieces of nice sycamore which are rectangular rather than square. I could, of course, just saw off more on one side than the other, but that sort of doesn't site well with me. So in this case I decided to rather cut a wide strip off, and make the piece square by filling in a strip made from padauk and laburnum. About 9" diameter and 2" tall, finished with danish oil. As always, C&C welcome.

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
Re: A simple bowl
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2015, 07:55:15 AM »
Again here I think you are trying too hard and adding too many elements into some of your work you call it a simple bowl but then add a band of many colours. In my opinion it would have looked better with a single colour band .
Sometimes it looks like you look around you workshop too see what you can add to a piece when I think you would be better to make some of your work simpler.
Sorry I am being picky but this is how I see it your work has come on a lot now stand back and try not to make every piece and exercise in complexity.

Regards george
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2015, 04:27:21 PM »
I have to agree with George on this. Your turning is coming on leaps and bounds but perhaps you are trying too hard design wise? Sometimes simple is far harder than complex as any faults show but as can be seen from some of the pieces on here, simple can be far more effective than over decorative.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2015, 05:41:30 PM »

Hi Wolfgang,

I like the concept and thinking, why cutoff an waste wood when you can adapt it to a larger piece by again using what could well have been waste.

It's well done, glue up is tidy and nicely finished.

We see this work done in many differing forms .. could a single timber worked better or the two used, but in thin alternating strips across the the bowl, should think from what we see you've the machining to do it as such.

Thank you for being innovative, should you not try it, you'd never know, nothing would be made if it weren't ever tried in the first place.

Cheers  David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2015, 06:20:27 PM »
Thanks guys, for the feedback. When I said "simple", I was mostly referring to the shape, as it has no additional features (coves, beads, etc.) and a very simple foot. Granted, a single strip might have worked better. I'll try and restrain myself a little for the next few weeks.

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2015, 11:00:24 PM »
This does not quite work for me, I think if you had put and edge of sandwiched veneers either side of the checkered part it would look better. Just personal preference though.

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2015, 06:17:20 AM »
I think the strip going through the bowl could do with being much narrower.

Also I think the foot is a little small and tall for a bowl, it looks like if you were to put something in one side of the bowl it would tip over.

But on the plus side I like the idea. Posting pieces on the forum gives us the feedback to tinker with design. Just turning a bowl or whatever is great while we hone our tooling skills but once you have mastered a nice clean finish then it's fun to play around to see what you can up with.

So Wolfgang I'm with you keep pushing the boat out to see where it takes you.

All the best

Ed

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2015, 08:08:47 PM »
I've you'd laid the coloured timber lengthwise I think it would have looked better, but experimentation and playing is all part of the learning cycle.

If we all did the same thing, all like the same thing, well it would be boring.

It may be that segmented work is they way you eventually go, keep trying new things.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2015, 09:01:21 PM »
I've you'd laid the coloured timber lengthwise I think it would have looked better, but experimentation and playing is all part of the learning cycle.
Bryan if you did that you may end up with another problem, always better to go with the grain I think.

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2015, 09:10:01 PM »
The main reason for the pieces of wood going as they are, is in fact the grain. At the moment every joint has either side grain on side grain or end grain on end grain, thereby giving the whole bowl a degree of insurance against movement when humidity levels vary. I do like a lot of segmented work that I see, but right now I can only do simple things, as my workshop isn't big enough for the proper machinery I would need.
This was a first attempt, and I don't mind all the critique (in fact, I am very happy to read all the different points of view), and looking at this one I can already see ideas developing in my head for the next few (I have some more of these rectangular blanks).