Author Topic: Laburnucopia  (Read 6839 times)

Offline steve w

• bronze
Re: Laburnucopia
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2015, 04:03:01 PM »
Gentlemen, I do credit people where such credit is due. And in this case: would it help if I explained to you that
  • The wider of the two shapes sat in my workshop for several months on its own
  • The longer of the two shapes sat as a raw turned piece on a bookshelf for months on its own
  • Neither of them are amphoras (whereas both Pete's and Tony's pieces are both amphoras)
I have absolutely no intention to copy other people's work, and every intention to credit wherever I do copy them or take inspiration from them. So to Pete and Tony: if you feel I have copied you, my fullest apologies, it never crossed my mind that it might be construed this way.

very nice - personally i cant see why you would ever have to credit anyone for items you turn, but maybe thank them for your insparation,  i am sure someone before them turned a similar item - i am sure every form has been done before, maybe i am wrong.
why do i feel the need to turn a block of wood into shavings?

Ralph

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2015, 07:07:11 PM »
Personally it's not my cup of tea and I'm not sure about the shapes created.
However I would like to add that all beginners (I include myself) have to learn the rules before they know how to break them. So emulating/taking inspiration of other people work that you admire is a good start.

Well done.

Ralph

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2015, 08:20:47 PM »
Isaac Asimov ("Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent").

That will be the Foundation Trilogy then, Long time since I read them.

As for the piece, I think it's a little over balanced, over busy. Have you considered removing one of the vases and adding something else as a point of interest. A seashell might work or a small pile of pebbles al-la Mark Sanger, or something completely different, a rusty old cog or something else dig up!
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2015, 08:55:18 PM »
Bryan does this mean now that if I stick a rusty old cog on one of my bits I am pinching your ideas? ??? ??? ??? ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2015, 10:21:28 PM »
John,

No, as I've never done it, but thought about making finials and adding other items of interest from things a friend with a metal detector has dug up.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!