Author Topic: Tack Cloth  (Read 2629 times)

Offline MCB

• gold
Tack Cloth
« on: July 18, 2015, 11:56:48 PM »
When Terry Smart visited our Club and demonstrated Chestnut products, he mentioned that he keeps his Tack Cloth in a glass jar to preserve its tackyness.

I'm  very cautious about glass in my workshop because it's so easy to knock a bottle or jar off of the bench and then having to waste time clearing up the broken glass, not to mention the mess (admittedly not a problem with a Tack Cloth!).

So I  used a cardboard tub with a plastic lid instead. The tub has shown itself to be suitably airtight since the Cloth is  still tacky over a year afterwards.

It used to contain Marigold Bouillon Powder and is  around 3“ in diameter and 3” high.

I  have a few spare empty tubs, so if anybody who is  local to East Hertfordshire would  like one they should  contact me off list. It would  probably cost more to send by Royal Mail Letterpost than to buy a full tub of stock powder

MC Black

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
Re: Tack Cloth
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2015, 08:32:54 AM »
I keep mine in Clingfilm that seems to work OK or a freezer bag would do the same job.

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2015, 11:42:58 AM »
I think tack cloth must be the only thing that we buy as opposed to make or try making.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2015, 07:55:39 PM »
I keep mine in a plastic container with a screw top, seems to work fine.

John, have you ever looking into making Rosin, the tacky stuff in the cloth. It's not easy!
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!