Author Topic: RS 2000 deep hollowing tool  (Read 4089 times)

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
RS 2000 deep hollowing tool
« on: July 15, 2015, 09:33:56 PM »

Has anyone used or have experience of the Robert Sorby RS 2000 deep hollowing tool I would like to know opinions on the use of this tool please

Regards John
John Smith

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
Re: RS 2000 deep hollowing tool
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2015, 10:11:13 PM »
Hi John

I reviewed this system back in 2010. I found it to be a good scraping system a lot of tool for our money. Since then five years on, new items have come onto the market that also offer a shielded ring cutter as well as scraping options so you may find more versatile systems on the market at a price less than £292 (as see on one distributors web site) for the basic system. £314 including articulated probe. It is a good system simple to set up and use but as I say a bit pricey now compared to others on the market when you compare versatility, some of which are less than half the price.

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2015, 08:33:09 AM »
Another point which is of use is the coring tool that comes with it, although I prefer a curved coring bar as I can save more wood.

To clarify it would be good to hear from others as I haven not used this system in some time and certainly not had as much use with it compared to other systems.

Offline malcy

• gold
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2015, 09:00:33 AM »
I have this system. I haven't used it that much but found it to be pretty good at cutting deep inside. The articulated arm is good for adjusting to awkward places. I do like Sorby tools generally. And this one is expensive. I have not tried other similar hollowing systems so cannot compare. As I say I don't do a lot of hollowing where this would be useful so my comments are from limited experience. Malcolm.

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2015, 12:53:29 PM »
although i own one i've never used it to it's full capacity.

i really only bought it so i could use the lance to bowl save on conical shaped large bowls.

Offline Mark Hancock

• bronze
    • Mark Hancock
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2015, 08:42:44 AM »
The RS 2000 came from the Stewart System which I've had since 1990 (won in a competition  :)) As Mark has said it's basically a scraper system bur with a lot of handles. Just had a look at what it includes now and it looks like Sorby don't include the Arm Brace, the Omnitool or the Shear Scraper and IMHO it's not worth the money.

The best bit is the Slicer which when combined with the Arm Brace allows you to core any size bowl - last one I did was about 30 inches across.

John if you want to come over to my workshop I can show you the system and maybe suggest how you can achieve the same for less outlay.

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2015, 06:39:59 PM »

Thank you everyone for your advice and comments it was most appreciated. Mark H I have sent you an email.

Regards John
John Smith