Author Topic: Some bottlestoppers  (Read 4739 times)

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
Re: Some bottlestoppers
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2015, 09:31:41 AM »
Apologies

Rude of me not to comment on your stoppers. I really like them, great designs and better kits would do them more justice.

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2015, 10:38:55 AM »

I do understand what you guys are saying about matching the top to the metal part, but I am not sure I fully agree. So far the folks I have showed them to have not commented on that part at all. Can anybody explain to me why it is so essential?

It is about having pride in you work.

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2015, 10:38:59 AM »
Mark, thanks for the reply. I have no problem committing to the best level or workmanship I can produce. As far as I am concerned, the question of matching the top to the cone is more one of design than workmanship, though? In terms of design, what's so bad about having a step outward precisely where the cone ends and the top starts?
In some way that wouldn't be different from, say, having a bead right there.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2015, 11:47:00 AM »
Fromn a design point of view it just tends to look unfinished. having it flush or with a bead or some texturing can just add that last little bit of finesse and make a world of difference. May sound a small thing but sometimes it's the little details that can make the big difference.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2015, 12:20:16 PM »
Mark, thanks for the reply. I have no problem committing to the best level or workmanship I can produce. As far as I am concerned, the question of matching the top to the cone is more one of design than workmanship, though? In terms of design, what's so bad about having a step outward precisely where the cone ends and the top starts?

Hi

There is nothing bad about having a step outward at all, if this is how you like it and designed it, after all it is your work. I was also not fully clear previously about the kits and how I see the join.

You previously mentioned that you needed to have the wood of larger diameter than the stopper as the threaded section is off slightly so it was difficult if not impossible to get a flush fit all the way around hence why you decided to make this part larger to compensate for the quality of the kit. You are obviously not happy with the kits as you are going to buy the next ones from a different supplier, so not only do you have the issue of the off set but also the fit against the metal section is not clean.

You can clearly see on all three stoppers where the wood meets the stopper that the wood has not been cut cleanly, it looks particularly with the burr one that it was cut and joined straight from the band saw, not saying it was but that is how it looks.

So personally I would not have been happy with this join/intersection with the metal part of the stopper, nothing wrong with a step or bead just make it a good fitting step or bead.

For me design is also workmanship, all too often I fear people concentrate on the technical but do not give as much thought to design which is a pity as a person buying or receiving are hardly ever interested in the technical but the aesthetics of the item.     

You asked for C&C so I gave you my honest thoughts on your stoppers. They are good as I said previously but they could be better. Just my thoughts you can run with it or discard it I don;t mind either way.  :)

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2015, 05:13:01 PM »

Fuzzy I respectfully suggest that if you want to improve as a woodturner you start  listening to the advise given to you freely by Mark Sanger
he has been turning to a very very high standard for close on 15 years and spends a lot of his time helping newcomers. You have been turning for approx. a year so you would do well to listen to what he is telling you.
Poor workmanship is poor workmanship because somebody is prepared to buy it does not in any way excuse it this is why woodturning in this country is not appreciated.

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2015, 05:24:09 PM »
Thank you for the support George, I am however sure Fuzzy is more than happy to take on advise when he wants to.  :) :) :) 

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2015, 06:55:43 PM »

Poor workmanship is poor workmanship because somebody is prepared to buy it does not in any way excuse it this is why woodturning in this country is not appreciated.

Regards George
[/quote]

Why I stopped doing 'craft fairs' Best friend any turner can have is an honest critic who tells it like it is.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2015, 09:14:49 PM »
Hi Fuzzy.
              I have used the Aminster Kits and the are good quality they also make a mandrel/Arbor with a morse taper and a tapped hole which is in the centre and this helps with the concentricity have a look on their web site.
                                                                                                Regards John
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 09:22:49 PM by John D Smith »
John Smith

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2015, 10:56:59 AM »
Hi all,

I am truly appreciative of all of your feedback, and I am particularly grateful to Mark and Pete for taking the time to explain things. I don't ask these questions out of spite, but because I want, no, need to understand. I am not the kind of person that will follow stipulated ideas or methods simply because somebody has stipulated them. I have a deep need to make sense of things for myself, and your explanations do help a great deal. And I am listening.

As far as the kits are concerned, it's just one of those lessons that have to be learned. And yes, the non-centric threads do also cause the top not to sit flush on the metal part. But I can assure you that none of the surfaces came straight off the bandsaw. Looking at the pictures again, I also realise I should have cleaned them a bit more, there's quite a bit of dust visible, which is not good, either.

Again, thank you all for your time.

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2015, 05:04:50 PM »
Hi Fuzzy

No worries, I did not think you were being spiteful in anyway, it is the best way to be, not to just believe everything you are told and it is the right way to go to challenge how we think and do things in woodturning, how else do we break new boundaries.

My comments were as I said just my thoughts. It is always difficult to see close detail pictures on the forum. Keep up the good work and please don't think I was being negative. The critical point for me is to learn and I certainly do not know it all, not by a long way, this is what I love about woodturning, a new lesson every day.

All the best