Author Topic: Beech bowl....  (Read 1509 times)

Offline ChrisF

• gold
Beech bowl....
« on: July 14, 2015, 05:54:19 PM »
Trying some new things like grooves.....quite scary having got the bowl just as I want it and then jabbing another tool at it!  Do like the effect though, you lot clearly do know what you're talking about!  ;) ;) 

Also really like the width/height ratio of this one, seems much more elegant.  Beech, 10" x 1.5"   C&C most welcome

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
Re: Beech bowl....
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2015, 07:19:39 PM »
I would have had a very slightly wider but shallower foot apart from that very nice.

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2015, 08:47:43 PM »
I'm with George on the foot (well, someone's got to agree with him)....the shorter foot wood be less visible and make the bowl look as though it's just floating. I used to make my bowl feet larger, like yours, but started making them smaller and smaller, and really like the effect.

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline TWiG

• gold
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2015, 09:51:18 PM »
I am impressed at what you have created from a 1 1/2 inch thick piece of wood !! ( I almost always use thick wood as I prefer fuller curves )  you have displayed the grain ,especially the medullary rays to good effect and the inclusion of a small defect as a feature has worked well ( in my opinion anyway !) nice  profile and excellent finish as well ... good stuff ... Terry ..

Offline ChrisF

• gold
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2015, 09:27:55 AM »
Thanks guys, I see your point on the foot.....having said that I also like the lightness that the higher foot gives.  food for thought (and experimentation).

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2015, 05:06:45 PM »
HI Chris

Lovely work, really like the inclusion/form and minimal detail on the rim. Great finish, the foot has already been discussed. Keep up the good work