Author Topic: A few pieces  (Read 8701 times)

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
Re: A few pieces
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2015, 02:41:19 PM »
Hi all

I have been working on the pieces previously shown a bit more.

The blossom flowers I was not happy with as I was unable to get the definition I was after, also the random texturing which is produced with a .8mm ball pyro tip was taking far too long to produce due to the shop purchased pyrography machine I have not producing enough heat to texture as fast as I wanted to, so I had to make my own to speed up the process and to let me carve deeper with other bits. I have a few more areas of general texturing to do and I have worked out that in all there are around 8000 individual dots on the surface, quite a few hours and enough to send me doolally.

While the new branding machine makes things much faster, you will notice that the rim of the pot has been burnt away, a negative of the extra heat if you do not keep an eye on things :) :) so this I will have to be built back up.

The next stage is to colour the main body and highlight the blossom, then a lid and finial.

A lid and finial has been made and coloured for the verdigris piece for which a base is being made.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2015, 02:49:57 PM »
That first 'floral' one is spot on with that little touch of colour IMHO. The texturing immediatel makes me want to pick it up and feel it.  The second one is exquisite, again in my opinion.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Mike Gibson

« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2015, 08:28:10 PM »
Nice work Mark, looking forward to meet you in a few weeks.

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2015, 08:29:14 PM »
Not bad I spose.

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2015, 06:06:37 AM »
Hi Mark

Your craftsmanship is very special there is not one of these pieces that I would like to say I like better then the next.

Thank you for sharing the stages of the work and the link I for one had not seen this.

Ed

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2015, 08:35:06 AM »
Pete

thank you very much, they have some way to go but I am pleased so far.

George

is very much a positive, and yet it keeps me on my toes.  :)

Mike

Thank you very much, looking forward to meeting you too, time is getting short and there is still so much to do.

Ed

Thank you very much, these techniques are not difficult to achieve just time consuming, they will be covered on the course later in the year.

Thank you all again for your comments.

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2015, 09:05:39 PM »
Hi Mark

I'm looking for to it  :)

All the best

Ed

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2015, 02:11:38 PM »
Thank you Ed I am too.

Hi all

Here is a further picture of the blossom lidded form with some colour which due to the bright sunlight outside today (mustn't complain) appears quite harsh and it is hard to pick up on the subtle tone changes of the various shades of burgundy and golds that have been applied in numerous layers. This one has caused me a few headaches and I have stripped off the colour more than once to start again, the positive of this however is that I have learnt quite a few lessons which is never a bad thing if a bit frustrating at times.

A few ore tweaks on the top and it is lid and finial time, then the base. Currently I am working on 7 pieces at various stages.

C&C as ever

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2015, 04:14:38 PM »
Mark I like these a lot, especialy the last one. Does the flower pattern wrap over the top?
good colour too.

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2015, 04:26:37 PM »
Hi John

Thank you, yes it continues into the top which I am finishing, Once the lid finial and base is made then I will get some proper pics and upload.

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2015, 05:45:12 PM »

Hi Mark,
             This one gets better with every step in the process to the finished article I look forward to seeing it. ;D ;D

Regards John
John Smith