Author Topic: Scuffed grain  (Read 11597 times)

andersonec

Re: Scuffed grain
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2015, 05:48:48 PM »
Your tree looks looks a species of Willow to me.

Have a look at these video's and in particular the one on 'Cutting into end grain and grain direction' on page 3

https://vimeo.com/woodturning/videos/page:1/sort:date

Andy
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 06:04:39 PM by andersonec »

Offline z3ddie

• copper
  • It wasn't a catch it was a redesign
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2015, 12:10:02 PM »
I used the Leafsnap UK app and took a pic of it and it came back as Plum - Prunus Domestica

Ryan Davenport AWGB

« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2015, 12:17:36 PM »
Glad the app helped, I've been waiting for an app like Leafsnap to come out for ages, I must admit I'm amazed that 1)it's free and 2) how accurate it actually is, when I first downloaded it I thought it would be a "gimmick" so I was pleasantly surprised.

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2015, 12:25:50 PM »
That sounds reasonable. What I am surprised about is the size of the tree, to be honest. I have never seen a plum or damson or any other of the prunus species to grow to more than 10 inches diameter, with the exception of cherry.
It does however fit my theory that there is a big difference in hardness between heartwood and sapwood, especially when turned green, with all the consequences following from there.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2015, 12:57:41 PM »
Plum or damson can grow a lot bigger than 10" diameter especially in some of the old orchards.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2015, 06:52:53 PM »
when turned green,heart and sapwood of cherry,damson,greengage,plum etc;are all soft and easy to turn,with no noticeable difference between heart and sapwood,the only two things to watch is all the sap coming out,its like being in a shower its so wet and dead knots inside the trunk/branch that your turning can cause a wavy cut to set up which can be difficult for a novice to rectify,with this i find its easiest to cut from the opposite direction with fine well controlled cuts until the ridges set up by the wobble are cut away.
welcome to my woodturning world

Offline Haggy

• bronze
  • "You can keep your ashes in that " Wife
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2015, 09:15:47 PM »
I have just logged on to see if any one could shed any light on the type of wood, I  am grateful for the replies.
There has never been any fruit on this tree in the 15 yrs we have lived here, when you turn it green, as Eric says you get wet, it doesn't smell very nice either- my son said it smelt like 'cat wee'.  I will be surprised if it is plumb or Damson- although the leaves are similar.  Tomorrow I will do as you say Ryan and post a close up of the leaf on a white background- I will include the size.  My Dad thought the same as fuzzyturns, but wasn't sure either.  The SB Videos You sent the link to are the best training ones I have seen Ryan- I own some   made by Alan Batty but Stuart has taken the to another level.
       Thank you for your interest - Haggy

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2015, 09:41:18 PM »
Leafsnap is only available for the Apple platform, had a look for android equivalents but nothing seems to be as good or useful. Shame. Hope they bring an android version out soon.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2015, 09:57:28 PM »
the leaf is very like a blackthorn and it's definitely in the prunus genus but the bark is wrong for it to actually be blackthorn.

can you add a good picture of the bark too.

it would also help to know if the wood is very heavy, lightweight, hard, soft, ring porous or diffuse.

if it is one of the harder cherries then in theory it should be cracking like crazy.

Offline Haggy

• bronze
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2015, 07:06:45 AM »
Thanks too for your help seventh devil -  on the first page is a transverse sect. of the tree where I got the bowl blank- does this  show the bark in enough detail?  Can you do the app. Test on this Ryan? This piece of wood is starting to split badly just as you said Seventhdevil.
In reflection both Eric and Fuzzyturns have given me a deeper understanding of why the grain behaved in an odd manner - but it would be interesting to put a name to this tree- we can say for sure it isn't walnut!
       Many thanks -Hags

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2015, 06:48:05 PM »
Well, the trunk looks more like a beech to me but the rest of the tree doesn't. The leaves don't look like your average European beech, either. Having said that, there are about a dozen different species with quite some differences in leaf shapes and sizes. You said it never carried fruit. Did it ever have any kind of flower or bloom? Beeches would have catkins, which are quite easy to recognize. And, in fact, your second picture above does show some fruit, albeit green and small. Hard to tell at this stage, what these would look like when fully grown. The mystery goes on...

Offline Haggy

• bronze
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2015, 08:49:03 PM »
It flowered in late April, the flowers that formed were in small white clusters of petals that fell like snow onto the lawn.  You were right to spot the 'fruits' that have subsequently formed Fuzzyturns- they are not catkins.  Fingers crossed that Ryan and his app. can help.
     Thank you for your interest.
             Haggy

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2015, 09:02:50 PM »
the flowers just confirm it to be a prunus but as to which one i can't yet say. pick of the bark in the light will help but it won't necessarily be conclusive.

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2015, 10:16:05 PM »

I'm going to throw in Malus to the mix and Crab Apple, can be know not to fruit.

Cheers

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Ryan Davenport AWGB

« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2015, 07:52:00 AM »
Checked and checked again, it should be an Apple (Malus Pumila). Hopefully this helps.
Regards.