Author Topic: Scuffed grain  (Read 11525 times)

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
Re: Scuffed grain
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2015, 07:36:52 PM »
I had some Apricot wood a few years ago that looked similar to the tree in the picture bark wise,but the one I got was allot smaller,the leaves were similar to if memory serves correctly.
welcome to my woodturning world

Offline Haggy

• bronze
  • "You can keep your ashes in that " Wife
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2015, 09:13:48 PM »
Thanks for double checking Ryan- I take it this tree is a malus (apple) or some sort of prunus.  When it flowers next season I will try again to confirm its identity. Meanwhile I feel a sense of pride that my tree has managed evade some very knowledgeable people.
            Regards
                   Haggy

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2015, 10:50:26 PM »
the bark should settle it as they are quite different.

if you like you can send me a sample and i'll examine the endgrain for you.

Ryan Davenport AWGB

« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2015, 07:53:58 AM »
Barks are very similar on "same family" species but for your convenience Leafsnap also add pictures of the bark too.

Offline Haggy

• bronze
« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2015, 09:07:58 PM »
Are you going to the seminar seventhdevil?  If you are I will slice a section off the branch  and leave it at the  desk where you collect your passes. 
I have downloaded your app. Ryan but haven't had time to properly test it out.  I didn't do very well with the leaf ID game .
Regards.  Haggy

Offline ChrisF

• gold
« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2015, 08:46:05 AM »
The fruit shown in one of the earlier photos is definitely plum/damson/greengage family.  Absolutely not apple of any sort.  The leaves of malus and prunus are all very similar so I can see why the app might get confused, but the fruit is distinctly different.  First image below is apple, pears are very similar.  Second is damson, plum and greengage are virtually identical at this stage.

Offline Haggy

• bronze
« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2015, 09:53:58 PM »
Thanks for the pictures Chris - the second picture certainly appears the better match. I will bring a sample of the leaves and branch to the AWGB seminar as it is hard for people to study a photo. Once again I appreciate the help in ID, I didn't expect such a response.
         Haggy

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2015, 11:45:21 PM »
having fiddled with the contrast and brightness on your image of the log i can now see the bark alot clearer and it's 100% a cherry but can't pin down the exact one.

after looking at some images of prunus species i'm leaning towards prunus padus, hackberry.

Offline Haggy

• bronze
« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2015, 08:33:42 PM »
I think you are right too seventhdevil- prunus padus seems to tick all the boxes.  The wood  is described as having a particularly nasty smell which my son  commented at the time as smelling like 'cat's wee'.  I don't remember it bearing small cherries, my wife thinks seed pods are formed but I will keep an eye on  the tree this year. Thank you once again for going the extra mile seventhdevil, I really appreciate it.
    Haggy