Author Topic: A bowl with a hole......or two!  (Read 5953 times)

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
Re: A bowl with a hole......or two!
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2015, 09:16:18 PM »

Hi David,
               Brave Man chunky looks good why do some turners think everything has to be thin is it some sort of ego thing ??? ::)
                                                         Regards John
John Smith

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2015, 08:03:14 AM »
I very much doubt it would have been possible to have gone much thinner with this and sometimes it I knowing when to stop.

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline steve w

• bronze
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2015, 09:17:49 AM »
the problem with turnings like these is that it makes me want to run before i can walk  ;) - lovely bit of turning, - did you take any pictures of wood before turned?
why do i feel the need to turn a block of wood into shavings?

Offline TWiG

• gold
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2015, 08:39:03 PM »
Excellent piece indeed !! not only have you demonstrated a combination of great  tool skills and bravery , but the vision to have spotted the potential in the original lump of wood , and then successfully completed the turning and finishing demonstrates great flair , that cannot just  be learned ... Terry

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2015, 09:27:30 PM »
David,what I have to say is,this is a stunning piece of woodturnery,and knowing when to stop turning when the wood starts making those creaking and cracking noises,shows you have experience enough to cope with holey bits of wood most wouldn`t even try to turn in the first place,wether its as thin as you`d like or not,I`ve founf its always best to stop when the wood talks to you,cheers,

Eric.
welcome to my woodturning world

GREEN MAN

« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2015, 11:57:48 PM »
Steve W - I've had a look but i am afraid I can't find any photos of this one before I turned it.

John smith, Terry and Eric - Many thanks for your kind words and encouragement it means a lot. I am pleased you like this one.

Kind regards

David