Author Topic: Bench top drills  (Read 4742 times)

Offline MCB

• gold
Bench top drills
« on: May 04, 2015, 07:00:18 PM »
It seems that I  need to replace my pillar drill since it stopped working yesterday afternoon while I  was drilling some plywood.

[I've  checked the circuit breaker - other stuff on same circuit works;  the fuse in plug - OK; I removed all easily removed covers and hatches to see if there was a fuse inside - nothing found: no burning smell(!). That's the limit of my electrical expertise!]

So I've  come to the sad conclusion that I  need to buy a new one! Possibly, I  should  have bought a better quality drill in the first place!

I should be most grateful if members could  kindly write about their experiences with Bench Top Pillar Drills and say whether they would  recommend their drill  to others (with reasons).

Similarly, are there any that you would  NOT recommend?

I've  spent a long time searching the internet and, apart from the suggestion to find a second-hand Fobco machine, found nothing that's useful.

I  know that there are a lot of knowledgeable and helpful members who  read this forum so look forward to helpful suggestions.

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

MC Black

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
Re: Bench top drills
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2015, 10:28:02 PM »
I've got a Sealey pillar drill I don't do a lot of drilling with it but it does not seem that poweful and the drill chuck which is 2MT has fallen out a few times.

If that helps

Ed

Offline MCB

• gold
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2015, 10:41:22 PM »
I've got a Sealey pillar drill I don't do a lot of drilling with it but it does not seem that poweful and the drill chuck which is 2MT has fallen out a few times.

If that helps

Ed

I  like the idea of a Morse taper chuck fitting so one can use MT drills without a chuck.

Usually MT things are difficult to remove and a Drift is  needed.

MC

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2015, 10:46:33 AM »
MC I have a really old Axminster pillar drill sat on the bench, it is very heavy to move but once bolted down it is solid in use. Due to work on the shed I cannot get in through the door ATM but as soon as I can (Thursday) I will look at the model number if you wish. It has a range of speeds but to be honest I have probably never changed it in 10 years or more. It does everything I ask of it, I even made a honing wheel for my carving tools to fit.

Offline MCB

• gold
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2015, 12:15:07 PM »
MC I have a really old Axminster pillar drill sat on the bench, it is very heavy to move but once bolted down it is solid in use. Due to work on the shed I cannot get in through the door ATM but as soon as I can (Thursday) I will look at the model number if you wish. It has a range of speeds but to be honest I have probably never changed it in 10 years or more. It does everything I ask of it, I even made a honing wheel for my carving tools to fit.

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

If it's old, it's quite possible that it's NOT a current model and Axminster may source their current range from a different manufacturer. But if it is  still current, the model number would  be very helpful.

In my experience, Axminster have excellent Customer Service.

There's no urgency since I  can use a Bosch “pistol” drill in a Wolfcraft Drill Stand (that I  clamp in a vice) in the interim and I'm  certainly looking around since I  hope that whatever I  buy will outlast me.

I  was going to buy a new washing machine this month but think that a pillar drill will be more fun!

With best wishes and thanks again. 

MC

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2015, 03:04:42 PM »
I got my pillar drill in B+Q over ten yrs ago,still working fine
welcome to my woodturning world

Offline horrorboy64

• iron
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2015, 07:33:37 PM »
I've had a record power bench top pillar drill for a couple of years now, I shopped around online & got a good deal. Can't fault it, solid quiet & accurate.

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2015, 09:36:50 PM »
MC in the morning I will be posting on here about some tools for sale from a turner who has recently passed on. I think there may be a pillar drill in with it. Wait and see.

Offline MCB

• gold
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2015, 07:03:57 PM »
It was a defective emergency stop button.

I've been in touch with the supplier and hope that they will send a replacement part.

There's the danger that they may supply a complete replacement drill, but I'll put up with that.

Very many thanks for  your support
MCB