Author Topic: Resin & Wood  (Read 3455 times)

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
Resin & Wood
« on: April 05, 2015, 07:47:31 AM »
Hi All

I need to able to get a two part resin mixed with powder deep in to splits and voids of a chunk of wood to hold the wood together and to become part of the turning. I've tried injecting with a high powered air gun but that's not getting deep enough so I was thinking that a pressure pot or a degas chamber might work. But before I going spending a load of money on something that might not do the job as any one done this that could tell me the best way, or could anyone point me in the right direction.

I want to be able to achieve a resin wood combination.

Thanks

Ed

andersonec

Re: Resin & Wood
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2015, 07:16:46 PM »
I would have thought if you built up a 'reservoir' shape with some blue-tac or putty type stuff you could fill that and let it run into the void, keep your eye on it and fill when necessary, obviously only the one at the highest point is able to be done so small amounts will have to be mixed and each void done separately, must be lot's of other stuff to do while that bit is going off.

Andy

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2015, 07:54:45 PM »
Hi Andy

Try that first didn't work it's a large log that I'm playing with.

I know people seem to use a degassing chamber and pressure pots but try to fine someone who has some knowledge on how the process works before I land up spending a load of money on the wrong thing.

Ed

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2015, 09:32:05 PM »
Hi Ed....are you Facebook 'friends' with Rick O'Ryan, an Irish artist/turner....this is right up his street and something that he excels in.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2015, 11:02:29 PM »
i would walk away from the idea of a pressure pot and go towards vacuuming it in to the log.

a bit like the fiberglass makers when the impregnate the matt with resin. find a how do they do it on youtube and see for yourself.

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2015, 11:06:38 PM »
Thanks Les  :)

Offline Sevilla

• bronze
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2015, 03:52:49 AM »
I do not know which two part resin you are using.
I use epoxy and when using the 24hr cure which is very fluid I do not need additional tricks except keep adding resin and gently allowing eventual bubbles to escape with the help of a finely pointed stick. Tooth pick type of thing. I generally color the epoxy.
When I use the much viscous 5min cure epoxy I use heat to render more fluid the resin. It goes deep no problem and always use the tooth pick and add resin as necessary. In this case the work must be finished in few minutes.
Heat can be used also on the 24 h resin. I use an air dryer as a heat source.

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2015, 07:23:05 AM »
Thanks seventhdevil I've check a lot out on you tube but this is different the vacuum won't pull the resin that I want to use in.

Sevilla I've used the two part epoxy resin in the way you have described and that work on smaller items well. But it's not going to work on what I'm trying to at the moment.

Regards

Ed

Andy Coates

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2015, 11:08:00 AM »
You can make an agitating plate by strapping a palm sander to a board. This helps the resin find all the holes. For a pressure pot you can convert an old pressure cooker with a vac pump and gauge. The wood and resin goes in a pot within the pressure cooker. Lock down evacuate and leave to sit a while. I'm sure there's a website somewhere that will detail the process.

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2015, 03:45:34 PM »
Thanks Andy I've been chatting with Rick O'Ryan and he's given me some tips and people to contact so watch this space  :)

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2015, 09:00:10 PM »
I had nothing to add to this as I've never played with resin, but I eagerly await the outcome, I'm intregued.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!