Author Topic: Yew vessels with lids  (Read 2596 times)

Offline TWiG

• gold
Yew vessels with lids
« on: March 31, 2015, 06:32:05 PM »
Some recently completed work , one is a commission , from a tree growing in the church on the owners land , he was delighted and amazed by it and had no idea that such things can be made from wood , also another local craftsman has some planks to make a jewellery box and a console table , the tree cost him a fair bit to remove and he is paying people to make stuff from it ( he is not charging for the wood though !! ) nice chap with a double barrelled name ( and shotguns ) ... Terry..  ( vessels are about 12 " tall not including finials )

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
Re: Yew vessels with lids
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2015, 11:06:53 PM »
Two very fine pieces Terry I like the piercing it just adds that little extra  :) I think the rounder one is my favorite

Ed

Offline Steve Jones

• gold
    • the woodturners
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2015, 08:49:11 PM »
Terry, nice work, I prefer the top one, just shows you how people differ. I think the piercing fits in with the shape and flows better on this one.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2015, 09:13:41 PM »
I'm struggling with this....I like both forms, but prefer the flat-topped form on the left. I just don't like the piercing and I think it's because the margins between the individual 'windows' are too irregular. To me, these pierced areas work better when the margins are of a fairly uniform thickness. Sorry Terry!

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2015, 09:11:25 PM »
Terry,

It's the tall one for me as well, especially as you managed to include your (forum) name as the finial.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline malcy

• gold
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2015, 09:17:19 PM »
Its the first one for me. Not sure I like the foot on the second one. Lovely grain and colour and contrast in the wood. Well done. Malcolm.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2015, 10:43:48 PM »
First one I like, has a good oriental feel about it. The second one is too fussy for me with the foot and the finial. Plain finial no foot maybe for my taste. The piercing works well on the first in my eyes and the varying shapes and sizes in it work well but again not the second. Different strokes for different folks as we used to say

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities