Author Topic: Going to London  (Read 3321 times)

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
Going to London
« on: March 22, 2015, 09:39:28 PM »
I've got a trip to London sometime next month for a few days. Just looking at the galleries to visit. I thought I would look at the Saatchi gallery and the South London gallery. Anyone been to these?

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
Re: Going to London
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2015, 09:47:51 PM »
Yes about two years ago you will enjoy yourself but find you never have enough time.

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2015, 09:48:39 PM »
Go to the V&A John. the classical and Japanese exhibits/pottery etc will blow your mind, also it is free to get in so, bargain.  :) :) have a great time.

Offline MCB

• gold
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2015, 12:52:31 AM »
Go to the V&A John. the classical and Japanese exhibits/pottery etc will blow your mind, also it is free to get in so, bargain.  :) :) have a great time.

The Victoria & Albert Museum in South Kensington is  free but when I  last visited the staff tried to make visitors make a “voluntary” donation.

If you want to eat in the vicinity, the refectories in Imperial College are open to the public - and much cheaper than facilities in the museums

MC

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2015, 07:54:19 AM »
It is free but their running costs must be enormous therefore it helps if you make a contribution.

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline MCB

• gold
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2015, 08:47:53 AM »
Charging the public to visit museums is  a tax on Education.

I  appreciate that this is  a contentious view and other folk may feel differently.

MC

Offline farmerphil

• bronze
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2015, 03:04:33 PM »
The V&A is a good shout,you do pay for their special exhibitions but often fascinating.
The British Museum also stacked with everything.
Only been once to Saatchi and was a bit disappointed, personal taste but then I don't follow contempary art.

If you like your food then the tasty nosh on the hoof can be found at Burroughs market

Offline farmerphil

• bronze
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2015, 03:44:32 PM »
Further thought the Courtauld gallery ( ? Spelling) in Somerset house has got variety including some good impressionists, and the National Portrait Gallery...

Followed up by a trip to the Emirates to see Alexis Sanchez  and team's poetry in motion

Other people might not share the last point

Regards

Phil

• platinum
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2015, 04:29:28 PM »
Thanks all for your replies. I try to go to different museums or galleries each time I go to the city. Done the V&A and British museums and totally agree they are mindblowing at times. I will be staying in Southark this time so wanted something a little bit close. Last year I went to the Wallace collection and was very pleasantly surprised. Never enough time I know but it beats wandering in and out of the shops on Oxford street!! :( :( :(

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2015, 07:02:24 PM »
we went to the Tate last autumn,lots to see and not time or energy to get all the way around
welcome to my woodturning world

andersonec

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2015, 07:15:53 PM »
Charging the public to visit museums is  a tax on Education.

I  appreciate that this is  a contentious view and other folk may feel differently.

MC

Where do you think they get the money to keep these places going then? Presumably you think the same about paying to go to your turning club?

Andy

Andy Coates

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2015, 10:39:59 PM »
try here for something a bit different...

http://www.soane.org/

Tate Modern always worth a visit. And you've just missed the Grayson Perry exhibit at the NPG which was superb.

Offline farmerphil

• bronze
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2015, 09:45:22 AM »
If your in Southwark Greenwich and naval museum is interesting after a stroll along the river

Have a good trip

Phil

Offline David Buskell

• gold
    • At The Cutting Edge
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2015, 01:09:37 PM »
Again if you're in Southwark, try the Design Museum over by Tower Bridge. Link is: https://designmuseum.org/

David
David
At The Cutting Edge

• platinum
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2015, 08:18:14 AM »
Thanks all for your suggestions. I will now try to work out what I have time to fit in.Rest assured it will not be shopping.