Author Topic: Timber store  (Read 3386 times)

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
Timber store
« on: March 19, 2015, 10:15:14 AM »
Sat here filling in time before I go to demonstrate for the Alzheimers society in town. I have finish building the new timber store at home, it looks pretty good but will also save me a lot of space in the workshop. I'm going to spend tomorrow filling it up and then I can concentrate on the workshop extension. Getting really excited now!!! ;D ;D ;D

Offline julcle

• platinum
Re: Timber store
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2015, 10:55:21 AM »
Don't forget the demonstration  ???
Crowvalley Woodturners
Julian

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2015, 05:45:55 PM »
Wonder if he will find his way home ?
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2015, 06:47:34 PM »
John. If you can fill it up tomorrow, its already not big enough. ;D
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2015, 09:28:39 PM »
Bryan I knew it was not big enough before I started building it, however for some reason I only get one vote in my household and SWMBO gets two!! ;D ;D ;D
  Her reasoning is if I am working hard enough I will not fill it up. So........ :P :P
   The demo was very enjoyable for me (and I think they enjoyed it too). I was quite happy to entertain them for an hour or so, Alzheimers is a cruel and heartless disease and when you see the effect is has on people you count your blessings. I do these FOC as there but by the grace of God go I.

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2015, 06:34:55 AM »
BHT good on yer, it's always good to give something back  :)

Hope the timber store is big enough but if it's not you could always add another level the vote was one small shed but I guess there was nothing said about the height  :) :) :) :)

Ed

Offline Dave Brookes

• bronze
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2015, 02:44:10 PM »
BHT,
Well done on the demo.
Although I am only a 'hobby turner' I did a demo at the care home where my late wife was with Alzheimer's and was amazed at the attention span of the residents, and although my wife had no idea who I was, she and the others were riveted to the spot whilst watching.  It wasn't what I was making (Christmas trees, mushrooms and the like) that was being watched but more the shavings coming of in streams and patterns that kept their interest.

Dave
"Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen pounds nineteen shillings and six pence, result happiness."  (Wilkins Micawber)

Offline TONY MALIN

• gold
  • Rugby Warwickshire
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2015, 03:41:33 PM »
I have a relative with it. He now lives a life of complete emptiness. To see something different must be a help if only to the carers who do a full time job.
Well done John.

Offline Graham

• platinum
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2015, 03:51:27 PM »
So, have you filled up the new store yet ? Left jus that little bit of room for new stock ?  :)
Regards
Graham

• platinum
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2015, 05:55:25 PM »
Yes the timber store is full to overflowing, should've made it twice the size really. So I still have a stack of timber, Oak and Cherry, behind the lathe. Underneath the lathe is full too as well as the back corner of the workshop buuut there is now enough room to allow me to move things round to enable me to start the extension.
      I'm building concrete blocks 4 ft high with studwork on top. But I have to cast the base first and was hoping to use the walls that I knock down as rubble, so I have to support the existing studwork walls and cut the blocks from underneath!! That way I can save a trip to the dump to get rid of the rubble and save on costs.
         I am reusing the door frame but doing away with the cill, it's gone rotten and I don't need it.
Just added a picture.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 06:04:42 PM by The Bowler Hatted Turner »

Offline julcle

• platinum
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2015, 12:50:00 PM »
Hi John,  Sounds a bit like mine. Yours is probably a bit bigger though  ???
Crowvalley Woodturners
Julian

Offline Graham

• platinum
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2015, 01:32:14 PM »
What is the reasoning behind going to the trouble of building a brick wall then changing to timber ?
Regards
Graham

• platinum
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2015, 01:44:04 PM »
julcle it is about 8 foot long and 2 foot wide-ish. Graham my neighbours own the wall between out gardens against which my workshop is built so I have to build a wall to the same height (4 foot) to avoid the bottom of the framework from going rotten if it was all wood. My garden has a slight slope down towards the workshop so it is naturally damp in that area. So concrete block walls with studwork on top.

Offline julcle

• platinum
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2015, 02:14:04 PM »
Hi Graham,  Same reason as John really, my shed is at the lowest part of the garden and is a bit like a sump so the solid base and block walls provide a good interface between damp ground and a pleasing upper part. Also I can do the wood bit but not the block bit so well.
Crowvalley Woodturners
Julian

• platinum
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2015, 05:59:18 PM »
Instead of using shiplap or T&G I use feathered boards normally used for fencing. I put a breathable felt underneath and then fix the boards vertically. It works like a dream and is so much cheaper than other methods. Not had any problems with it in 30 years (apart from size and the roof leaking)but if I did it would be a simple job to replace a board or 2.
  Because my wall is built close to next door's I fix a cavity tray to span the gap between the walls thereby avoiding a nasty damp area, leaving it open at each end ensures the wind whistles down it so making wildlife less likely to inhabit there.