Author Topic: Trinket Box  (Read 1556 times)

Offline Steve Jones

• gold
    • the woodturners
Trinket Box
« on: March 14, 2015, 11:03:36 PM »
I made this trinket box just before Xmas on request. The customer left the design to me.
I get asked to make boxes on a average 3-4 times a year. I am not the best at design so for future reference your C&C is encouraged, please be honest I was not sure about the overhanging lid and your comments will be considered when making the next box.
photo taken with my phone so not the best

« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 11:14:41 PM by Steve Jones »

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
Re: Trinket Box
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2015, 11:09:20 PM »
more of a bowl man myself but i must say that that really works well, nice curves and i like the finial and overall shape.

beautiful bit of yew too...

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2015, 07:59:03 AM »
Hi Steve

I am sure I have seen this elsewhere, Twitter I think, or I might just be going mad. :) The overhanging lid for me works, I like the overall design very much, it has a nice flow, finished off with your usual excellent finish. Did you customer like it ?  I am sure they did. 

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2015, 08:07:30 AM »
I like everything about this
I have not done many box's but they seem to be very popular with the ladies I expect this one has lots of little trinkets in it now.

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2015, 08:08:23 AM »
Hi Steve...it does remind me of your urn with the threaded lid....a similar style. What's exciting is that it's not a style that many of us use these days, but it's certainly working for you and getting commendations here. Perhaps you're onto something new that a few more of us might be trying.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Steve Jones

• gold
    • the woodturners
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2015, 08:21:32 AM »
Mark, yes I did put it on twitter but I wanted feedback from a few woodturners, I don't make a lot of this sort of work so advice on design is always helpful. The customer did like it but you rarely get constructive criticism from a customer.
If anyone does want to copy the design go ahead if they can make a few sales from it that's great.

It does go to show I am not the best at judging shapes as I didn’t like the lid overhanging but those who have seen it do.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2015, 08:24:53 AM »
What's the finial made of, Steve; it looks like a bit of wenge, in which case it couldn't have been easy because that stuff's not very good for fine detail?

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Steve Jones

• gold
    • the woodturners
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2015, 08:47:57 AM »
Your spot on Les Wenge it is.
Wenge is not the best to work with I find it harder to polish than turn but it looks fab when done. I wouldn't do finials as fine as some with it this shows about the thinest I would risk.