Author Topic: Hollowing jig  (Read 8669 times)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Hollowing jig
« on: March 07, 2015, 09:12:15 AM »
Since the neck injury last year, the main difficulty that I get in woodturning, is in hollowing, especially deep, end grain stuff. Currently, each time I do any hollowing, my neck and shoulder muscles tense up and I have to take a day off to let them loosen up. I already have the Simon Hope carbide tool and a Big Brother, shielded cutter tool, but am seriously thinking of getting a hollowing jig to take some of the strain out of it, and the Hope system looks most favourable.

Does anyone have any experience of these jigs, and wish to comment on them?

Thanks....Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
Re: Hollowing jig
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2015, 09:30:26 AM »
Good question. I am looking forward to Woodworks Daventry in the hope of seeing one in action.
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

Offline farmerphil

• bronze
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2015, 09:46:00 AM »
No idea, no experience of jig  so will be interested in your findings.

Are you able to adjust your working height on the lathe?

Phil

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2015, 11:22:40 AM »
Hi Les

I have not used the Hope system but did try out the monster rig in America, which looks to work on the same articulated principle as the Hope system. I found it so easy to use and I could hollow by holding the tool between my first finger and thumb with the smallest amount of force needed.

Certainly will take all the strain out of it for you. I am not sure though if you loose some of the versatility or not when trying to do steep undercuts, as I didn't trying the rig, but I know Simon also has a swan neck attachment which will do this, but again I have not tried it. Simon he is a great chap and if you ring him and ask he will give you the answer to this.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 04:30:13 PM by Mark Sanger »

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2015, 11:37:13 AM »
I agree about Simon being a great chap.

I went to Daventry last year and went to his stand because I was interested in his 8mm hollower. Now bear in mind that I use a white stick when I don't know  the layout of where I am what Simon must have seen was a blind guy stood at his stall sticking a carbon cutter up to about an inch from his eye but he invited me behind the stall to his demo lathe where he showed me how it worked then gave it to me and watched as I had a go.

Brave man.
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2015, 09:32:14 AM »
Les

I've just spent two days at the South East show Simon was also there and I spent a bit of time over the two days chatting with him and looking at his system and I would say it's a no brainer if your having problems with the hollowing. Simon's system will take all the pressure away from hollowing and it has no problem with follow the forms shape.

Stick the laser on it and I think that it must be almost impossible to go through the side :)

Ed

Andy Coates

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2015, 04:42:42 PM »
I'm probably the wrong person to answer as I did the video for the Hope Articulated Hollower...but as I make nothing from an opinion...here's mine...

Superb.

It WILL NOT make you a better wood turner.
It WILL NOT stop you breaking through the sides of HFs.
It WILL NOT stop you making ugly shaped forms.

It WILL reduce physical strain and make life a lot easier.

I have one of the rigs and it takes a couple of minutes to set up. Two more minutes to learn to use. And off you go. Hollowing with out the leaning over the lathe bed. Hollowing without straining your neck and shoulders.

I wish I'd had one years ago. Perhaps my shoulder wouldn't be so touchy now had I had one.

I've got a large captive bar rig and never use it. Too fiddly to set up. Too cumbersome. Sometimes snags on the feed through. And only really useful for very large pieces.

The hope system, which as Mark says is pretty much the same as other "snake" systems, is well made, solid, and works.

I'd say get one and don't look back.

https://youtu.be/H2J7BZ21THQ?list=UUaSwbcVM6I6bk41gKB2x4fQ

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2015, 05:05:08 PM »
What do you use for a cutter

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Andy Coates

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2015, 05:32:17 PM »
I use a few things as the form, or wood species demands.

I use the 6mm carbide cutter from Hope, because it works so well. I use the big and little brothers, because I've used them for over ten years and they work well, and I use a range of "toothpick" style cutters - some home made, a couple of others bought. And I use a Kelton shear scraper for cleaning up surfaces. All work well. And I did try the sorby RS2000 bits in it just to see how they work and they were fine.

I should say that to date I've only used it on sensible sized forms...sub 12"

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2015, 05:35:16 PM »
Are you saying you have used all of these with that rig.

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2015, 05:52:56 PM »

Cheers Andy. Simon was very helpful and very honest about what the jig woul;d do, and what it wouldn't - just as you have been. I paid there and then, and the jig turned up a few days later. I've yet to use it because I've been flat-ouit getting ready for the shop to open...but can't wait to give it a go!

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2015, 09:27:11 PM »

Cheers Andy. Simon was very helpful and very honest about what the jig woul;d do, and what it wouldn't - just as you have been. I paid there and then, and the jig turned up a few days later. I've yet to use it because I've been flat-ouit getting ready for the shop to open...but can't wait to give it a go!

Les

Glad you invested in one, was chatting to Simon about it today as he and I were at East Herts Woodturning Association, I got to have a close up look at his hollowing rig and it certainly is well made and so easy to manipulate. Had to spend some pennies myself on some bits and pieces, just couldn't help myself.  :)

Andy Coates

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2015, 09:29:02 PM »
George...

it will take any 19mm tool bar, or with the collet 15 I think, or bigger if you have a fitting made. It's just a holder for whatever tool takes your fancy.

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2015, 09:41:09 PM »
Got a birthday coming up...might have to get one ;D ;D ;D

Offline julcle

• platinum
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2015, 10:52:02 AM »
Simon is Due to visit us at Crow Valley Woodturners on 19th September, it may be worth a visit.
Crowvalley Woodturners
Julian