Author Topic: What the.....  (Read 3042 times)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
What the.....
« on: March 03, 2015, 01:30:11 PM »
For now, I'll describe it as nothing more than a natural feature of a tree that caught my eye. I had no idea what wonders it would hold, if any - for all I knew, it could have been full of mush, but it turned out to be a beaut!

Anyone care to guess what it is?

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
Re: What the.....
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2015, 03:20:44 PM »
i had a couple of bits of sycamore that have looked like that but they were full of mush.

could be beech?

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2015, 03:23:28 PM »
i had a couple of bits of sycamore that have looked like that but they were full of mush.

could be beech?

I'm not certain of the species, I have two possibles in mind, but the bard was absolutely wrong for beech, so we'll have to rule that out.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2015, 03:47:17 PM »
Very dramatic difference between sap and heart wood. Looks like some blackthorn I have turned but rare to get it that sort of size. Looks as though it was green so be interesting to see how it moves.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Roger Groom

• bronze
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2015, 04:28:54 PM »
Doesn't do anything for me I'm afraid, but could it be Walnut?
Roger G

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2015, 04:40:02 PM »
Not a clue here, but then, that's nothing new  :) :)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2015, 05:02:26 PM »
.....could it be Walnut?

Do you know what, Roger, I do believe you're right. When I first saw the piece it was still standing, but the trunk, from about a yard/metre high, had snapped off. What was left was about a foot diameter, perhaps a little less....this lump was a gall that had grown on the outside of the trunk, so I trimmed a piece off the trunk, shaped rather like a length of pipe, with this on one side. It was soaking wet when I cut it down, which would be about a year ago, and I had no idea what would be inside the gall.
I took a couple of cuts down the length of the pipe, threw the scraps onto the firewood pile and put the remaining piece, with the gall attached, into my turnings pile in the workshop.
Today I screwed through each of the 4 corners, onto a wooden faceplate and started skimming the outside of the gall...

...couldn't believe my luck when I saw how good the wood was and how well it machined.

In this next pic, the piece is now fixed into a chuck and you can see the remains of the rotten heartwood, which was bone dry when I cut it.

There was a limit to how thin I could take it, which became obvious when I stopped the lathe, checked out the inside of the gall and realised that it had been attached to the trunk by no more than an inch-wide strip of growth, which I had just started cutting into. One side is down to little more than a half inch left intact!.

In the next pic, it's reversed and held between a wooden dolly clad with router matting, and the tailstock live centre. A piece of the blue router matt is visible poking out of one of the holes.

Next I did a little more undercutting of the rim, but had to stop that when I realised how close I'd come to cutting it off the gall, so I settled for hand sanding it and cutting away the chuck tenon to form a little foot.

...and this is it, cleaned up and with a couple of coats of lemon oil. i decided not to build up a finish on it, as it will be impossible to buff safely.

...and here's that top-view again. You can clearly see the ring of bark between the outside of the trunk and the inner face of the gall, with the two small bridges of growth connecting the two pieces, at about 10 o'clock and 5 o'clock. Thank goodness I stopped cutting when I did!

Getting back to the species.....the heartwood has all the hallmarks of the beautiful swirls and the deep, purply-brown colour that can be found in walnut, and the bark was a silvery grey and quite deeply fissured, so I'm fairly confident that it is walnut.

C&C always welcome....Les
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 05:04:08 PM by gwyntog »

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2015, 05:23:14 PM »
i don't think its walnut as the bark doesn't look right.

i'd need to see the end grain to give a true i'd but looking at the other pictures could it be one of the birches?

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2015, 05:28:25 PM »
i don't think its walnut as the bark doesn't look right.

i'd need to see the end grain to give a true i'd but looking at the other pictures could it be one of the birches?

...hi Steve...I mentioned earlier that I had 2 different timbers in mind, and I initially thought that it was a birch because the bark was so silvery grey, but it was also quite deeply fissured. The sapwood certainly resembles birch, but the heartwood is very, very dark - not that there's much of it left.

Les

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2015, 07:20:15 PM »
in theory the colours are irrelevant as they could have been caused by fungal infection.

older birches become deeply fissured and there will be a silvery appearance on something like downy birch. walnut should have no silver but appear more white.

grain is how you tell them apart and walnut is semi ring porous and birch is not.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2015, 08:40:43 PM »
I don't think you an take the colour of the Gall into account, That would have been caused by an injury and could have done anything.

But I'm also with the Walnut faction. The white growth layer seems right to me having some that his this white in it. And what you can make out of the darker timber does have the Grey/Brown of a Walnut.

Other than that it is an interesting use of a Gall and a great WiP of how you turned it.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!