Author Topic: Woodturning Clubs  (Read 8956 times)

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
Woodturning Clubs
« on: March 01, 2015, 08:30:00 AM »
Looking at the AWGB website there's a full list of AWGB and affiliated woodturning clubs but there are a lot more clubs than this list shows.

Some woodturners do not join a club because of the distance from them, but there could be a club unlisted on the AWGB site that is closer that could also offer the benefits that we all get from getting together with fellow woodturners.

Close to me there are another three clubs that are not on the list Garden of England Woodturners, Orchard Woodturners and Medway Woodturners all of which are based in south east Kent. I also have the Kent Woodturners which is the AWGB club for the area.

Do you have a woodturning club that you go to that is not listed on the AWGB site? Could a list made up of all clubs for woodturners???

Ed

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
Re: Woodturning Clubs
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2015, 08:34:00 AM »
Another option is start your own Club that's what I did.

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2015, 09:58:25 AM »
Hi Ed, I hasten to add here that this reply is not an official AWGB answer but is my own opinion.
      I think in these modern times of social media and websites etc. that finding information out about clubs in your area has become easier, although we still get new members who often tell us they did not know we existed, I think, in the nicest possible way, that this is down to their own ignorance rather than a failing on the part of club or association oficers. Also when you consider how much work is done by committee members as a whole the last thing they need to do is make any more lists to maintain (we are all volunteers after all).  The AWGB is a member led organisation who offer, amongst other things, benefits to its membersif other clubs wanted these benefits they could join us, as they do not join us perhaps it is because they do not wish to for some reason, but I do not think we should be extending benefits to clubs free of charge when the rest of us are paying for them.
     I also have to say as the SW rep, some responses from individual clubs can be very, very rude to say the least.

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2015, 10:40:26 AM »
Is this just a cost thing ? Do some clubs feel that membership of the AWGB is just to expensive ?
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2015, 11:21:16 AM »
Our club is affiliated to the AWGB and the benefits far out way the cost.
We get insurance for our members that are involved in club activities .
£175  00 gift from the AWGB towards a demonstrator of our choice each year.
Free courses and training.
And much more all for about £14  00 per member per year.

Regards George

Offline David Buskell

• gold
    • At The Cutting Edge
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2015, 02:49:58 PM »
Ed,

I think there is a comprehensive list of clubs in existence already - perhaps have a talk with the Turners Company about it?

George says that AWGB benefits outweigh the costs. Not always so, the compulsory AWGB membership for affiliated clubs can be a deterent to membership growth. Members want to see what they get for their money and then make a personal choice as to whether to join AWGB or not. Our club has maintained and increased member numbers since we became associated.

Members now have a free and personal choice regarding the AWGB. All new members are given an application form and a copy of Revs and then make up their own minds.

We can go on for ever about ways the AWGB can improve what it does for members but we should all remember the Exec are volunteers and (I speak from experience) it is hard work running the association.

See you at the show,

David
David
At The Cutting Edge

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2015, 03:02:03 PM »
Our members have a choice join the AWGB or don't be a member of our club Simple.
I don't think we will be too worried about people becoming members if they are too mean to pay £14  00 year to belong to the AWGB.
With the AWGB membership and our club membership it is only £34  00 per year plus £3  00 a month.
We don't meet in December so that is a total of £67  00 per year or about 20 pints of beer or 6 packs of fags.
Good value I think.

Regards George

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2015, 03:08:12 PM »
Graham I don't think it is the clubs that think it is too expensive but more that the members do. Personally for the cost of 2 packets of fags (I don't smoke now) or half a dozen beers (I don't drink now) I think it is good value for money.
    As Dave said his club went from Affiliated to Associated which is their choice but then they will possibly lose out on some of the benefits. Some of the clubs as they grow may think they have outgrown the benefits financially which again is their choice, I prefer to maintain my loyalty.

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2015, 05:16:07 PM »
Personally I don't think that paying for a club and paying for AWGB membership is that expensive and it all helps woodturning.

My question was more for others, I gave my first turning lesson to a guy yesterday and he asked about woodturning clubs in his area, I told him about the AWGB and found his nearest club listed on the website, but knowing how many clubs I have within 1/2 an hour or so I thought I'd ask the question.

I'll contact The Turners Company thanks David

Ed

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2015, 05:29:52 PM »
There are three clubs that I know of I'm my area. Two are associated and one does;t appear to be on the awgb list at all. As far as I know they are all thriving but I have no idea what proportion of the membership are also AWGB members. Certainly some are.
As 'Governing Bodies' go the AWGB is cheap yet I often read of people leaving because they say it is not worth it.
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2015, 09:07:35 PM »
Hi Everyone,
                  This subject seems to raise its head every so often, our club has about 65 members all members of the AWGB but only 40 pay there

AWGB annual membership fee of £16:00 per year (Compulsory) we also get £1:00 of that the others are members of other clubs and pay their fee to

their main club they are also pay a one off £5:00  to join our club and everyone pays £3:00 for every meeting they attend which covers refreshments

& helps with the cost of the hire of the hall where we meet.

We apply for the £175:00 Demonstrator Grant every year and have very recently received another grant from the AWGB.The £16:00 in my opinion is

good value. How many will go out and spend that on a Bowl Gouge?  Regards John

John Smith

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2015, 09:39:16 PM »
Apart from the immediate and obvious benefits, you also need to consider that the AWGB support other activities directly and indirectly with grants and practical support.

It's easy to take the selfish "what's in it for me" approach when looking at the club associate/affiliate equation but look at the bigger picture - a lot of the money that isn't ploughed back into supporting clubs is used to fund training schemes to further the craft and to teach youngsters. Well worth the money if you ask me!

Since I took over as membership secretary (I can't comment on numbers before then) I have seen the numbers on the largest affiliated clubs continue to grow so I don't see how the individual AWGB membership can be seen as a hindrance to any club.

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2015, 08:20:21 AM »
It needed saying.

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2015, 08:59:21 AM »

Well said Paul Members Benefits far out way the costs the trouble is 90% never try to get involved one example is the Workshop training
sessions some years it is difficult to get enough Members to apply. For a days tuition with a Professional would cost in excess of £100:00 with the AWGB sponsorship it is Free and there are many more benefits available. So those who complain get off your buts and participate. ;D

Regards John   
John Smith

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2015, 09:13:11 AM »
Hi Everyone,
                  The £16:00 in my opinion is good value. How many will go out and spend that on a Bowl Gouge?  Regards John

You can get a decent bowl gouge for £16.00? Do tell where LOL. Seriously the cost of joining a club with AWGB membership is less than a night out at a decent restaurant or a good night out at the pub. Those who feel it is too much perhaps need to ask themselves what sort of priority they put on enhancing, and promoting good wood turning. As I understand it all the officers and reps do it volountarily so it isn't as if the money was going to pay some fat cats as in business. I am as tight fisted as they come but certainly don't begrudge paying and supporting the association in this way.

pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities