Author Topic: Pewter Tripod  (Read 2749 times)

BarryMobbs

Pewter Tripod
« on: June 23, 2011, 08:35:12 PM »
Hello,
 This bowl is made from elm with a tripod foot and a cast in pewter ring. I used the sorby texturing tool on the pewter. no finish has been applied yet but I am considering acrylic gloss lacquer. It is 170mm diameter and 50mm high.
 All comments are very welcome.       Barry

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
Re: Pewter Tripod
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 10:06:03 PM »

Barry,  That's a really nice piece, love the detail and the effect with the pewter, is it Elm ???  It will be nice to see it with a finish on later.

David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Dave Atkinson

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Macclesfield
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2011, 08:34:08 AM »
Hello Barry

I like the effect very much.  I think some form of laquer finish will help to stop the pewter from tarnishing.

Cheers Dave

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011, 02:05:33 PM »
If you had not said what it was, I'd not have guessed, the colour is very light for Elm.

I've been reading with interest the other article about the dangers inherent in the use of molten Pewter in turnings, very informative. You seem to have mastered the process as you achieve the finished effect so well.

Congratulations.

Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Roger Groom

• bronze
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2011, 09:38:14 PM »
Hi Barry
Another nicely executed piece. I must admit to not being too sure about the shape of the underside, but the foot has worked out a treat. Good finish as usual.
Roger G

petjeffery

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2011, 10:06:54 AM »
wow i really like this  you have adone a great job   love the way  you have texterd the pewter  it set it of looks  really nice   i bet it be nice when you have a finish on it  well done there