Author Topic: Steve's turning  (Read 10384 times)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Re: Steve's turning
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2015, 11:53:47 AM »
cheers george.

thanks all for your kind words, one bit i would like to be commented on was that staff, could a few people let me know what they think?

I'm intrigued as to what its use is! It's clearly too heavy just to be a walking stick, and you describe it as a staff, so it has got me thinking. Is it ceremonial?
As for its appearance; I don't  normally like to see too many woods mixed in the same piece, but there is a well documented history of sticks and staffs being made as composite pieces, out of all manner and mixtures of materials, so the mixture of timbers seems appropriate this time and I actually like it.

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2015, 12:43:47 PM »
Well Steve I did have a look at the staff and to be honest I don't like it. I have never liked joining end grain to end grain, I am sure you have a rod going down the middle for strenght but there will always be a built in weakness with the construction you have used. Also I'm afraid that I don't think it has been turned that well as when you enlarge the image and then hold a straight edge to it there is a kink in the turning at the joints. So sorry, but on this particular item, and I know it could all be subjective, but I don't like it.
"
The other bits and pieces you have on display look very nice with a good finish. One or two of the bowls are not to" my shape" I am just an old f**t but I think bowls should be nicely rounded without all the bits sticking out here and there. ;)

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2015, 01:47:20 PM »
Well Steve I did have a look at the staff and to be honest I don't like it. I have never liked joining end grain to end grain, I am sure you have a rod going down the middle for strenght but there will always be a built in weakness with the construction you have used. Also I'm afraid that I don't think it has been turned that well as when you enlarge the image and then hold a straight edge to it there is a kink in the turning at the joints. So sorry, but on this particular item, and I know it could all be subjective, but I don't like it.
"
The other bits and pieces you have on display look very nice with a good finish. One or two of the bowls are not to" my shape" I am just an old f**t but I think bowls should be nicely rounded without all the bits sticking out here and there. ;)

no strengthening rod there mate, i turned tenons and drilled holes for added strength and i'm fine that you don't like it, that's why i asked for opinions.

despite what it may look like in the pic it was almost dead straight when turned and that pick has been resized poorly (i'm still learning) plus my photography ain't that great. the kink you are referring to i think may be the bottom joint which was about 1mm too thin hence the slight kink.

les, as stated in the post it was for a monthly challenge set by the club i used to go to not for any sort of use, i sold it at my stall for about £80 and apparently it was mounted on the wall..

it won first place at the Berkshire Woodturners Association in their monthly competition.

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2015, 03:46:23 PM »
Steve if it won first place and you sold it who am I to pass judgement? well done! :D

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2015, 03:51:21 PM »
you are very welcome to pass judgment on my piss poor photographic ability.

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2015, 11:35:23 AM »
in continuation of my slowly adding work rather than putting on tons at a time here are a pair of oak porch posts i made about 4 years ago. each was 9" square and 48" long.

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2015, 11:37:54 AM »
once the flat surfaces were planed up and the corners chamfered i could get on with the turning.

Offline Walnut Les

• bronze
« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2015, 09:44:55 PM »
I must say that you get a good finish on your work Steve and well done on turning them big posts. Les

Ollie

« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2015, 08:13:24 PM »
I agree with Les. What finish do you use?

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2015, 01:15:10 AM »
my standard finish is just danish oil but the wood is highly sanded and then buffed in its own shavings that usually gives it a nice sheen then a coat or two of danish and buff again once cured.

the only one that is waxed is the burr wych elm.

the cocobolo just used it's own oils and waxes in the wood, finely sand it to a glass like finish and put it on high spin and buff.