Author Topic: Treasures from the deep.  (Read 2146 times)

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Treasures from the deep.
« on: January 25, 2015, 04:17:02 PM »
This piece is made from apple, old, rotten in places. It is about 25cm long and is on a slate base. The pearls are natural cultivated ones. Just need to do a little bit of work on the inside to clean it up.
C+C welcome.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Re: Treasures from the deep.
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2015, 07:24:00 PM »
Hi Pete...a lovely piece of timber with bags of character and I feel that the character of the wood is ideally suited to this subject......it looks ancient. One question, is it fixed to the slate?

OK...two questions! Does Mo know that you've pinched her bling! :)

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2015, 07:44:03 PM »
Ohhh, they are real pearls.

Another great use for your supply of old growth apple wood.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline TWiG

• gold
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2015, 07:48:47 PM »
 That is a nice composition there Pete , and the vessel is a great shape and the voids , natural edges etc are very in tune with the theme , just like they have survived a shipwreck and spent years being scoured by the seabed by many storms   ( I spend a fair bit of time underwater so have a good idea what sea ravaged stuff looks like ! especially driftwood , which I collect and make things from )    .. One thing that I think of with these composition pieces is how do they get on at point of sale , by that I mean  if people pick them up and handle them do they then put them back correctly ?  do they know it is all for sale not just the wooden part ?  and do they sell ?  I have a few ideas in mind myself and am curious ... Terry ..

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2015, 09:00:24 PM »
I love the amphora and the base and they seem ideally suited to the piece's title, old and weather beaten...... but I feel the pearls look wrong, they are in to good a condition, perhaps the string should be broken and a few loose ones scattered about.
:)
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2015, 09:07:19 PM »
Thank you all. I see what you mean regarding the pearls Graham and if you buy it then you can split the string and arrange loosely but for the moment it seems safer to keep them as is. I don't generally fix these pieces in position because the eventual owner may wish to arrange it a bit differently, as Graham suggests for example. When I have them 'in public' as it were I have a label stating the price, the wood and materials etc so the pearls would be mentioned. I encourage people to pick things up simply because the tactile aspect of the wood etc is part of the attraction, yes it means I have to put it back as I want it afterwards and of course keep a firm eye on things.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2015, 11:39:12 PM »
Well Pete I love that rotten old piece of apple  :)

Ed