Author Topic: pewter metal  (Read 4857 times)

petjeffery

pewter metal
« on: June 22, 2011, 04:18:34 PM »
hello all  i have got my self some pewter and going to try and melt it down  and try doing some inlaying with it   have any of you tryed to do this?
if so how do i go about it ?  really looking forward to trying this out

Andy Coates

Re: pewter metal
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 05:33:14 PM »
I'm not sure I'd be comfortable detailing the process on a forum Peta. Melting metals is potentially a VERY dangerous practice and if you don't already know the process and the safety requirements I would advise against starting without first getting experienced and qualified advice.

Sorry!

petjeffery

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 05:56:17 PM »
thats ok andy    i have been googleing it  as well  so i have a ruff idea  of how to melt it  safely  i was just wondering if any other on here have tryed it and has it worked out ok    or if they had any problems  with it

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 08:03:52 PM »
I agree with Andy you should get some professional advice.Simon Hope works a lot in this material.He may be a useful contact.
www.hopewoodturning.co.uk
                                                     Regards John
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 08:08:29 PM by John D Smith »
John Smith

Offline Dave Atkinson

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Macclesfield
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 08:35:54 PM »
Hi

Everything above is correct.  However, it isn't too difficult,  but you need to be very very careful cos it is very very hot.  Eye protection is a must.  I suggest you get a copy of Simon Hope's first DVD "Hope for us all - an introduction to fine woodturning".  You can get this from KTMP (http://www.ktmp.co.uk/FORMgallery-14.htm).  It's a great DVD and Simon shows how he melts pewter and prepares a foot for a bowl.

I've worked successfully with pewter.  However, I understand that it is very difficult, if not impossible, to cast an insert in the finished piece as it contracts when it cools and falls out!    Make it first and then set it into your piece with two part epoxy.

Hope that helps.

Cheers Dave

petjeffery

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2011, 08:54:21 AM »
thank you all  there some great info  there   i have been looking trow it all   and will be trying this in a few weeks  going to order me that book first 

BarryMobbs

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2011, 07:45:44 PM »
Hello,
 I was fortunate enough to attend an AWGB workshop with Simon Hope earlier this year when the topic was the use of pewter in turning.
 Health and Safety was an important part of this workshop as you are dealing with a hot molton metal. Pewter melts at a relatively low temperature of 240 degrees C but even this temperature will cause severe burns if it gets on you. I use a small gas powered camping stove and an old saucepan to melt the pewter and it should be heated to melting point only, not hotter.
 I have cast pewter into spigoted wooden moulds for turning before fitting to the wood (see the foot on the item I posted in the gallery a while ago) and have also cast it directly into a prepared recess in the work and machined it in situe (to be posted soon). Because the pewter contracts as it cools you beed to run CA glue into the joint interface to hold it in place for turning.
 It is vitally important that the wood is very dry because the heat of the pewter will cause any moisture to boil off violently. Hand and face protection are essential.
 I would stronly recommend that you see Simon Hope demonstrating, if you are anywhere near he is in Norwich on June 16th.
                Take care,   Barry

petjeffery

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2011, 09:51:02 AM »
hi there barry  thank you so much  i have a camping stove and sauce pan  (i have been melting lead for fishing whigts  for the last few years  it does seem very  much the same process as i have to do with the melting of lead    thank you for getting in touch with me   the info you have given me is great   i wish i could get up to  norwich but its a bit far for me such a shame
Hello,
 I was fortunate enough to attend an AWGB workshop with Simon Hope earlier this year when the topic was the use of pewter in turning.
 Health and Safety was an important part of this workshop as you are dealing with a hot molton metal. Pewter melts at a relatively low temperature of 240 degrees C but even this temperature will cause severe burns if it gets on you. I use a small gas powered camping stove and an old saucepan to melt the pewter and it should be heated to melting point only, not hotter.
 I have cast pewter into spigoted wooden moulds for turning before fitting to the wood (see the foot on the item I posted in the gallery a while ago) and have also cast it directly into a prepared recess in the work and machined it in situe (to be posted soon). Because the pewter contracts as it cools you beed to run CA glue into the joint interface to hold it in place for turning.
 It is vitally important that the wood is very dry because the heat of the pewter will cause any moisture to boil off violently. Hand and face protection are essential.
 I would stronly recommend that you see Simon Hope demonstrating, if you are anywhere near he is in Norwich on June 16th.
                Take care,   Barry