Author Topic: Flask - myrtle and sycamore  (Read 3637 times)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Flask - myrtle and sycamore
« on: January 12, 2015, 09:33:50 PM »
I went to the workshop this morning to make a natural-edge bowl, but started playing with an idea that's been banging around inside my head for months and months. I wanted to make a water flask, based on the type that we always used to see the Cowboys drinking from in the Westerns.

The body is a single piece of sycamore. a bit like the body of a tambourine, with a pair of strap hangers set into the rim. These hangers were turned out of myrtle, as a single ring, but with a beading tool and parted off, then pushed into an internal, then an external jam chuck to clean it off and sand it. finally, the ring was sawn into two pieces and set into shallow holes in the rim. Each of the holes was drilled through the rim at a smaller size, so that each half of the ring could be pushed into position and taped down whilst epoxy mortar was pressed into the holes from the inside.

The front and back panels are myrtle burr, a bit like a pair of old fashioned hub-caps, with the front panel having a small decorative ring of sycamore set into it. Finally the neck and the stopper were turned from another piece of myrtle burr, and glued into a hole in the rim. The stopper will have a black rubber 'O' ring on it to stop it from falling out when the flask is handled. The strap is three lengths of black leather thong, plaited together with the ends whipped with waxed whipping twine.

It's a purely decorative piece, certainly not meant to be functional, and I doubt that the little hanging rings would stand the weight of a flask full of liquid. The main diameter of the body is 8" (20cm) and the body is 2" (5cm) deep, with the dome shape of the front and back panels giving an overall depth of 3.25" (8cm). It's had a sealing coat of melamine lacquer and a couple of buffed coats of carnauba.

C&C always welcome....Les
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 09:38:02 PM by gwyntog »
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
Re: Flask - myrtle and sycamore
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2015, 10:05:45 PM »
I love it.

Regards george
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2015, 10:20:03 PM »
Thank you, George....I know the quality of the work that you make, so I'm happy to take that as quite a compliment.

Les

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2015, 08:28:37 AM »
Very well done Les, excellent quality of turning, finish and knot work, you a fisherman by any chance.  :)This is probably the nicest turned flask I have seen.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2015, 08:52:36 AM »
Thank you Mark, your comments are much appreciated.

...knot work, you a fisherman by any chance...

Not a fisherman, a (now retired) boater who loved tying knots in string, although I learnt to 'whip' ends when I was in the cubs.

Regards...Les

Offline malcy

• gold
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2015, 09:15:57 AM »
Lovely job, Les. Love the burr and the contrasting woods. Nicely done. Malcolm.

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2015, 09:21:13 AM »
Hi Les
reading through your description before I scrolled down to the photos I thought' This is going to be good' and I certainly was not disappointed, it looks incredible and an enormous amount of work has gone into it. Well done, a real exhibition piece.
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2015, 09:58:47 AM »

Expertly done and well thought out Les..... The warmth of the Myrtle Burr gives  a very good contrast to the
          Sycamore ...... every thing looks spot on ...... (Finesse in Completion )
          Tony and Di
"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2015, 10:14:10 AM »
lovely.

Offline TWiG

• gold
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2015, 06:09:04 PM »
Excellent piece there Les !!  you do pop up with some surprising pieces !    I particularly like the contrast of woods and the finish looks very good indeed .. also well photographed ...    I think I know what you mean by cowboy water bottle but I think the origins are much older ... roman legionaires water bottles were similar also look on you tube for "Romanian pole lathe  flask turner "   I recall seeing Tobias Kaye do a demo of this some time ago  .  Terry...

Offline Turners cabin

• bronze
    • Turners Cabin
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2015, 07:09:16 PM »
Absolutely fantastic i love it  ;D

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2015, 07:53:52 PM »
Hi Les,
          I think everything has been said about this water bottle fantastic piece of work. How about the next one you make use old Whisky Barrel lids
I understand they are easily sourced? ;D just an idea ;)
                                                                              Regards John
John Smith

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2015, 11:13:53 PM »
 8) .... canteen,  Les, sure would be ideal for the long dusty trail.

Do like it, well thought out and executed.

Cheers  Dewi
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2015, 05:57:15 AM »
This is a great looking piece Les your woodturning skill's matched with your eye for wood and finish are plain for all to see in this piece.  :)

Ed