Author Topic: Here's something to think about  (Read 2324 times)

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
Here's something to think about
« on: January 04, 2015, 10:06:12 PM »
So we decided to get rid of the artificial Christmas tree, made of wire with stuff woven in to it, you know the sort of thing. I am detailed to take it to the dump sometime this week but it got me thinking.....what can I make out of it  ready for next year's season? I know I could make smaller trees but just trying to think of something combined with  a turning so that the tree can be upcycled.
Any suggestions?

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: Here's something to think about
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2015, 10:22:27 PM »
And I thought I was tight fisted LOL. have to think about that one John. We have an artificial tree we just use for displaying Christmas decorations at shows, bit like an upside down sweeps brush. Oooh individual branches cut off for sweeping out hollow forms?

pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 06:44:09 AM »
And I thought I was tight fisted LOL. have to think about that one John. We have an artificial tree we just use for displaying Christmas decorations at shows, bit like an upside down sweeps brush. Oooh individual branches cut off for sweeping out hollow forms?

pete
...it seems that it was the norm in my locality for the farmers to send a rope down the chimney once the Christmas decorations were taken down, tie the base of the tree onto the rope, then haul it up to sweep the chimney......job done!
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2015, 04:36:39 PM »
I'm really hurt that you think I am tight fisted Pete :'( :'( :'(    I think of it more as being prudent or fiscally aware :D :D maybe just canny.
It's just that I hate throwing things away without fully exploring the possibilities that could emerge.......................tight fisted indeed!! :o

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2015, 06:21:48 PM »
The question is.... Has he discovered yet that pockets are sown up when you buy new clothes ?
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?